S6 Boot Central Locking Vacuum Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S6 Boot Central Locking Vacuum Leak

There is an obvious air leak from the central locking actuator in the boot of the S6.
    RearHatchVacuumActuator_Annotated.jpg

The leak seems to be coming from the right hand "Nothing on here" branch shown above. What should be on there? Or should it just be blanked or have a one way valve on?
    Last edited by Colesy; 29 January 2020, 14:37.

It leaks when the diaphragm is split.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

The blanked off section looks same as mine. The leak is nearly always from a split rubber boot on the linkage. See my post.
      The Audi Enthusiast website. Forums for all Audis including A4, S4, A5, S5, A6, S6, allroad, A8, S8, TT, R8, Q5, Q7, 4000, 100, 200, v6, v8, vintage, local forums

Comment

Thanks both. So would air coming out of the right hand "Nothing on here" be normal? Or would that indicate a split diaphragm?

Comment

I would expect that just to be a vent behind the diaphragm to reduce "back pressure" so maybe a small amount of air when actuated as the diaphragm moves?

Comment

It’s a vacuum system so if the diaphragm is split air will rush in and the actuator won’t be pulled in.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks, sounds like the diaphragm has gone as there is a lot of air going in and out of that hole. Will get one ordered.

Comment

Let us know what you eventually determine the failure mode to be and will get that Quattroworld FAQ post updated. Not seen anything other than torn linkage boot issues and pump failures before. Photos always good ;-)

Comment

That 'Nothing on here' port would be for a cabriolet, for some reason they run the pump in reverse, so would use vac to open, rather than vac to close as on yours.
                  The clips are a pain to get off, they don't tend to break but are just very tight. Be careful of the O-ring inside on reassembly, I've pinched a few in my time, a quick squirt of silicon spray should see it slide in nicely!
                  1989 NG Q Pick-up (Daily)
                  2002 ASZ Golf (Doris' Daily)
                  1997 AJK-G2 A6 Avant Q (In surgery)
                  1999 AGZ Bora (Daily 2)
                  1994 ABC A6 Avant (Spare)
                  1984 JS Coupe GT (Slow progress)
                  1982 WN Coupe GT5 (Spare)
                  1983 MK1 Golf GTI Pirelli (In storage)

Comment

Working...
                  X