No announcement yet.

Headlight bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is one of those pictures where the lights are shining at the 205 a comparison, led on left hid on right? If so, the riggt hand lights is barely visible!

Comment

Mine have arrived for my Saab! I will fit them later and try and report back soon...

H7.jpg
      The Perfectionist
      sigpic
      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

The thread below from 5 years ago suggests while the LED's are super bright, they don't throw the light out as you'd expect. Hopefully 5 years down the line these bulbs have improved.
        Looking forward to some Saab pics and hopefully a better result.

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...led-headlights

Comment

Short story. They don't fit. First off the "bulb" body is too big for the metal cradle inside the projector lamp. Secondly, even if it wasn't the heatsink bulb will foul on the headlamp casing preventing the bulb from being installed.

To be fair to Duncan at Classicleds he was very helpful and will send me a returns label.

I will try exploring some other avenues. It is only Main beam I want to upgrade so not a big deal.
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by John. View Post
            The thread below from 5 years ago suggests while the LED's are super bright, they don't throw the light out as you'd expect. Hopefully 5 years down the line these bulbs have improved.
            Looking forward to some Saab pics and hopefully a better result.

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...led-headlights
            Post #43 in that link shows why lumens aren't the only measure to consider.

The two big problems with LEDs are low lux output and low heat generation, which is more of a concern in climates with severe winters.
            Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
            2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
            2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
            1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
            1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

In the meantime technology advances... The quoted max lumen output in the old thread was 3000. Leds fitted in this thread are 6800. Let's hope the original poster comes back to update his thread with the results in real world situations like driving down the road...

My experience of the h4 led bulbs are 100% positive and in this country low heat output is not an issue that needs any consideration at all!

Comment

Hi with an update on the bulbs just fitted to the s2. Not been out in the dark yet with these restrictions and I have sorn the car. However, as the pictures show the bulbs did not fit within the plastic cover so had to cut some away. After fitting the bulbs the bulb failure warning came on with the dip lights

Comment

So headlight trim is almost done. I´ve got an email, that covers was painted with some ****** paint and glued because of crack. But i think the outcome looks very nice
                  Attached Files
                  Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

Comment

and during
                    Attached Files

Comment

That's looks pretty good what you've achieved, is that actually spray paint if so can you provide info of the product or where to get it. Brilliant...

Comment

Just to add to my last update with my headlights, ballasts now received from the headlight suppliers, cost £5 free post, fitted them all is well now but reflectors still need improvement for the full beam mode.

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
                          In the meantime technology advances... The quoted max lumen output in the old thread was 3000. Leds fitted in this thread are 6800. Let's hope the original poster comes back to update his thread with the results in real world situations like driving down the road...

My experience of the h4 led bulbs are 100% positive and in this country low heat output is not an issue that needs any consideration at all!
                          Clearly technology advances over time. Moore's Law is remarkably consistent even with hiccups along the way.

However, the issue I bring up isn't lumens. LEDs are very good at emitting lumens.

What they aren't so good at (except in an array) is emitting lux at distance. There's a great animated pic in the following link that explains this concept very well.

• Lux is a measure of illuminance, the total amount of light that falls on a surface
                          • Lumens is a measure of luminous flux, the total amount of light emitted in all directions.
                          https://www.waveformlighting.com/hom...lux-and-lumens

That said, I'm following the developments with interest.
                          Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
                          2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
                          2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
                          1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                          1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

That is quite interesting! The animation makes perfect sense of a lot of words.

It's a really difficult thing to predict - a high lumen light source in a poorly designed (or old and dirty) lamp definitely won't send much light down the road to lux all over the tarmac. But surely a high lumen LED output will generate good lux levels if it was fitted in a decent lamp? I though the manufacturers use of LED arrays was down to single leds at the time not being up to much?...

When I went to watch the Swedish round of the world rally championship last year, I was struck by how small the light pods were on the cars. No more Hella 3000s or cibie Oscars, LED all the way these days and damn didn't they give off a heck of a lot of light!

Comment

Headlight assembled. Looks much better, will see how it works in the night.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by quattro estate View Post
                                Hi with an update on the bulbs just fitted to the s2. Not been out in the dark yet with these restrictions and I have sorn the car. However, as the pictures show the bulbs did not fit within the plastic cover so had to cut some away. After fitting the bulbs the bulb failure warning came on with the dip lights
                                Did you figure out a way to get the bulb failure warning to go away? I have fitted a similar LED set of bulbs to my car, and even though they said they would prevent the warning light, I am getting it as well. The light is a lot nicer, but the warning is annoying. Also, just to note, I have changed my side markers, and also the city light within the headlight to LED as well. They all look great.

Comment

Working...
                                X