Rev counter problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rev counter problems

Hi I've just swapped my speedo head from a vdo unit to a made in Malaysia type
    After swapping it and starting the car the rev counter ticks over nearly at zero .
    It revs up OK but when the revs settle it goes back to near zero again.
    Don't think I can put vids on here but I've took a pic of tickover
    any idea what could be the problem
    Attached Files

Probably someone has removed the pin and replaced it in the wrong position.
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
      Probably someone has removed the pin and replaced it in the wrong position.
      Bet I could move it with my finger inside it would move round a bit stripping it of course....or revving the hell out of it until it bends

Comment

You need to remove the cluster, take it apart and 're set the pin correctly. You rewind the pin in a clockwise direction to remove. There is a good guide here if you search. Best use Google to search the forum. E.g. Audi s2 forum Speedo repair
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

What car is this on ? Clearly not an S2. If it's a 20v it's the wrong rev counter
          Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes2 View Post
            What car is this on ? Clearly not an S2. If it's a 20v it's the wrong rev counter
            I think it’s a V6

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesey View Post
              Hi I've just swapped my speedo head from a vdo unit to a made in Malaysia type
              After swapping it and starting the car the rev counter ticks over nearly at zero .
              It revs up OK but when the revs settle it goes back to near zero again.
              Don't think I can put vids on here but I've took a pic of tickover
              any idea what could be the problem
              How does it read with the engine off?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post

How does it read with the engine off?
                Engines not off , the picture is on tickover

Comment

Originally posted by mikes2 View Post
                  what car is this on ? Clearly not an s2. If it's a 20v it's the wrong rev counter
                  v6

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesey View Post

Engines not off , the picture is on tickover
                    I know that, I asked how does it read with the engine switched off? Is it the same as tickover or further anti-clockwise?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

so, was the cluster donor car a V6 ? The V6 UN4 rev counter is different from that of a 4 cylinder. What was the reasoning behind the change ?
                      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post

I know that, I asked how does it read with the engine switched off? Is it the same as tickover or further anti-clockwise?
                        With the engine off it sits on the little stop that's there ....I've driven it now and the speed is 5mph too fast , my temp is 100 degrees on the gauge and my fuel needle is too low , on the picture I've got £25 of fuel in my tank
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes2 View Post
                          so, was the cluster donor car a V6 ? The V6 UN4 rev counter is different from that of a 4 cylinder. What was the reasoning behind the change ?
                          The reason is my mileage cog has broken and the mpg screen had bled.
                          I got this speedo head from a known audi breaker and he assures me its 100% from a v6 but my original is a vdo and this newer one is not it says made in Malaysia.
                          Look since then ive driven it and the speeds out, the temps too high and fuel too low see my other post to the other guy on here.....been offered another hella head to try from a v6

Comment

Suspect an earthing/power supply issue, if everything is affected, there is one bolt that makes an electrical connection on the back of the instruments, be worth checking this is clean? As well as a visual check of course.

Comment

The mpg screen can be replaced with a replacement from gearworks.de. I'd be sticking with the VDO. I do have a spare V6 cluster. Shows 207k on it if it's any use
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X