Speedo intermittent problems - suggestions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo intermittent problems - suggestions please

Suggestions please: the speedo in my ABY S2 is intermittently just stopping displaying any speed - just dropping to zero - and I don't mean when I stop at traffic lights. After a minute or two it comes back, and when it does it's with the same accuracy (compared to sat nav) as usual. The rest of the instrument cluster - revs, odometer, info/warning lights, fuel gauge, etc. - is all working fine. Any suggestions as to what might be awry? Thanks.
    Shocked, exhausted, hosed, bushed, dumped, chipped, mounted, filtered, gauged, packed, intermittantly wiped and braked. I mean broken. Now, about the car...

When it drops next, gently but firmly push the flush adjustment knob directly below the speedo. If it comes straight back the chances are it’s a dry joint on the PCB behind the speedo. Ours has done it for years.
    85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
    93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

As Ian says. Almost certainly a dry solder joint or a poor connection between the Speedo mech and the main circuit board. Easy to fix.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks Ian, thanks Newsh. When I can get some fuel again I'll have a drive and a prod, and maybe then find my soldering iron.
        Shocked, exhausted, hosed, bushed, dumped, chipped, mounted, filtered, gauged, packed, intermittantly wiped and braked. I mean broken. Now, about the car...

Comment

Ours tends to do it with marked temperature change in the cabin, so car locked up on hot days or frosty overnight. It’s never not come back with a prod.
          85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
          93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Working...
          X