Speedo probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo probs

Having found myself with some spare time I have removed my Speedo binnacle as the Speedo and odometer had packed up a while ago. I just wondered if all the connectors need to be plugged into the back of the unit? I bell'd the circuit and replaced the VSS in the gearbox but still nothing. As I've been a little lazy I thought I would just need to connect the blue plug into the back and I could spin the wheel to get a result. Do I need to fit them all to power the unit up?

Cheers for any tips
    Mike

It's probably the long pins that connect the main circuit through board to the daughter boards, the solder joints fail and need to be resoldered.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

Cheers for that Newsh, I have been reading various posts about this and I was more hoping it was a dodgy pin (similar to your issue a while back) and just needed a connector swap and not cracking open the Speedo
      Last edited by europeanme; 7 March 2023, 22:38. Reason: Typo

Comment

Just a thought, is it the joint that fails or the wire in the joint? I was thinking if it's worth updating the wires.....anyone know what gauge wire is used??
        Last edited by europeanme; 7 March 2023, 22:48. Reason: Phat fingers

Comment

It's the solder joint that go dry, it isn't wire it's connector pins as John described. There's no need to replace these. HTH.

Comment

A dodgy pin you can test pretty quickly. I'm having issues with my speedo and tach after pulling the needles for Guage face swap. The pain has been ongoing having sourced a spare cluster and still having issues.

You can use an ohm meter to test the board traces from the pin outs to the speedo and tach (as well as fuel and temp).

Comment

Cheers for the help guys.....
              its one of those "swap out (wires) whilst the cluster is open" hoping I don't have to go back in!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X