Need Help Figuring Out HEadlight Choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Figuring Out HEadlight Choices

I am changing my headlights from the horrible U.S. spec ones. I have been searching vendors and Ebay for lights. The more I look, the more I get confused!
    I need to know which lights would be the best and also which lights would be the best value (two independent choices I assume).
    I figured out there are single bulb lights that have separate turn signals on the corner.
    Then dual bulb lights with the corners integrated but use bumper lights for turn signals.
    And finally DE or ellipsoid lights that have integrated corners and use the bumper lights for turn signals.
    Is this right. What are these motorized lights I am hearing about? Which lights were stock with which car?
    Any help would be appreciated. (even a quote from Paul or Martyn!)
    Thanks!
    Dave K.
    USA
    1991 e//S2 (home built S2 - the only way to get one in USA!)
    2001 S4

My car is 1995 ABY. Here's the details:

Turn signals in front bumper. Headlights are the elipsoid type so feature 2xH1 bulbs per side and a sidelight in the headlight cluster each corner. My lights are motorised with a funky switch on the dashboard that I have never touched in 2 years of motoring. I believe this was stock Euro S2 from around 1993 but then again I have no idea what day of the week it is right now.......
    1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
    Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

I have a 1993 ABY

It also has the turn signals in the bumper. The headlights are the older non-elipsoid type and have an H4 bulb for dipped and high beam and an H1 for an extra high beam.
      The side lights go where the indicators are on the older 80s (ie extreme outside edges).
      It is also motorised from within the car.
      ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

I have motorised headlamps on my coupe which were an option i have the 85 type front like yours (was?) the headlights have 1 x H4 and 1 x H1(main) bulb. I have fitted Xenon bulbs and that has made a big improvement. HID would be nice.

I think that the DE type lights ( RS2only?) should be by far the best. I don't know if they are much better any comments anyone?

They would create a gap at the side of a grille on the type 85 front, OK for the B4.

Get the DE headlamps, it's only money the wife would spend on shoes!!!!

David

Comment

Last weekend i've fitted the DE's and I'm very happy with them. They look truly the buisness. And I can see about 50% more (in the dark). There's a whole new world in front of me.
          They are pricey but there worth it. And If you're going with the hoodswap (b4) and the S2 bumper then it would be perfect.
          RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
          RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
          Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
          High Octane website

Comment

Jeffer were they fitted to the S2 only or were they fitted to later Coupes and Convertibles?

David.
            Last edited by Stick Insect; 4 February 2004, 15:12.

Comment

They were fitted to convertibles (european newer models), coupe aby S2 (I think they were introduced in '96) and ofcourse the RS2.

greets
              RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
              Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
              High Octane website

Comment

Desmo Dave,

I think Jeffer has given you your answer....

David.

Comment

Thanks to all for your answers.

I guess my only concern is mounting the DE lights in my car with standard (non-motorized) lights currently.

Is the entire mount motorized so I could do manual adjustment? Or is there some feature in the light assembly that is motorized?

Dave K.
                  USA
                  2001 S4

Comment

Hi Dave,

They can be adjusted manually, and the electric adjustment is just an option. So when you buy new DE's there is plug in the rear of the lamp. You can either undo that plug and put in the motor, or maintain that plug and leave it like that. The adjustment is for the occasions that you are heavely loaded and your headlights blind the upcoming traffic. Then you can adjust them downwards with that option. I think originals S2's had them as a standard.

cheers
                    RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
                    Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
                    High Octane website

Comment

Dave,
                      I converted my USA headlights just like you are intending to do. For the price and quality, I would go with the standard H1/H4 Hella OEM headlights. They will cost you a lot less than the RS2, and you get plenty of light.

I have relays in my harness, I run 80/100 H4s and 100 H1s and I can light up a 1/4 mile of dark desert highway. Even with just the standard 55/60 60w bulbs there was plenty of light. Add in the 100w H3s in the bumper fogs(S2 front bumper) and I don't have any problems seeing at night. I think the new light are not that much brighter. The reason for the newer lights is too cut down on power needed for them. The HIDs use less power than standard lighting.

I think the standard lights give you more bang for the buck.

You also have to realize I am over 50. This means I have to have twice the light input to see the same thing someone 1/2 my age. I can see plenty well with these lights.

I have a 914 and run H4s in the headlights and French H3 fogs and they are plenty bright.

Just my 2 pence.

Greg
                      They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Hi Again Greg,

How did you get round the autocheck function on your car as you don't use the original bulb?

I have a big loom that I made with relays etc and I have not fitted it because of the autocheck system. The original light switch melted

David

Comment

Hi David,
                          Yea, that drove me crazy for a while too, having the auto check light on telling me I have no headlights when I can see they are working.

I have a loom I made up years ago for check out electrical systems. I took eight different colored wires and put male ends on one end and females on the other. Then I put the wires in a plastic loom. I don't use all the wires all of the time, just as many as I need. Helps me sort out problems with relays, wire connections, etc. Sometime easier than a multimeter. Make the loom about a foot long.

Install your relay harness. You will see the autocheck light showing you have no headlights.

I believe, if I remember right, the relay is number 6. You pull the relay, connect the female ends to the relay, and plug the males ends into the relay board. Start the car and turn on the headlights. Pull one wire at a time out of relay. Reattach wire before pulling the next one. When you pull one wire the autocheck light for no headlights will go out. Mark that tit on the relay.

Scrap all the insulaton surrounding the male ends on the relay off. Cut off the tit that gave you the autocheck light. Get some epoxy and replace the insulation. Plug the relay back into the board. No more autocheck light.

Hope that helps. I will try to take picture of relay, but car is not parked at my house as I am redoing the garage. May take a couple of days.

Greg
                          They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Greg,

Thanks for the tip. But at only $100 more for the DE lights, I think I will go for them. Yeah, I know - bling-bling...
                            Besides Blauvernugen is out of the H1/H4 lights right now.

Does the Blau premade harness ($150) keep teh auto check system working correctly? How about the harness detailed at www.20v.org?

Dave K.
                            USA
                            2001 S4

Comment

Originally posted by desmo888
                              Greg,

Thanks for the tip. But at only $100 more for the DE lights, I think I will go for them. Yeah, I know - bling-bling...
                              Besides Blauvernugen is out of the H1/H4 lights right now.

Does the Blau premade harness ($150) keep teh auto check system working correctly? How about the harness detailed at www.20v.org?
                              You can try Alex or vagparts for the headlights.

The relays block the autocheck from reading whether the headlights are on or off. I believe you will still need to modify the relay board relay. Everyone has there own thing. I just don't care for the looks of the DEs. But that is why everyone's car is different. And that is good.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X