Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hid????

Hi There,
    I want to upgrade the h/lights in the Rs2....Did the same with the golf Rallye and they made a vast inprovment.
    What bulb size do i need?
    Many thanks

H1. Mine has them, superb!
    Rob..
    94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
    87 UR 20v ABY
    97 S6 Avant
    96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
    1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Yarp, H1 it is. Like night and day
      Ragusa Coupe gone!
      sigpic
      VW T4 Multivan. TSW Holstens hiding in the garage for the winter.
      VW Mk1 Caddy pickup, modded or "ruined"
      vw T5 Kombi. In the process of being "ruined"

Comment

Do i need to get H1 hid's?

Comment

Notes on retrofitting HIDs into halogen housing (check the video from British television):

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
          http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...dvantages.html

I skipped the HIDs and installed relays and fat gauge wire. I also upped the voltage at the voltage regulator to 15.3v (provides more juice for the ignition and fuel pump as well). A brutal 15v at the bulb with this setup, vs less than 13v at the bulb with standard setup. Amazing light output, HID like power and whiteness, but totally legal and safe (HID in halogen housing gives stray light, see link above).
          1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
          1994 80E Avant
          1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

Interesting info there.
            John Bowlerwell
            Electronic Engineer

Present:
            Nogaro Blue RS2 - TOE
            Previous:
            Kingfisher Blue S2 - UAA
            Volcano Black RS2 LHD - DEX

Comment

All Orded!!!!! just got to find room for the Ballast packs? have gone for 8000's??
              Got to be an improvement on the o.e's?

Comment

8000k?

Hmm will attract some police interest!

6000-6500 is the best colour

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                  8000k?

Hmm will attract some police interest!

6000-6500 is the best colour
                  There going to be alittle blue'ish... My friend has then in his evo on dipped and main.
                  Chef

Comment

Goood info from Espen again here... Couple of observations from my experience -

1. I noticed an improvement of my dipped HIDs over stock lights when I fitted them
                    2. Its still not a great set of lights - compared to factory xenons in our Allroad
                    3. I've never failed the beam test at MOT - they perform that test here so the scatter is not so excessive that it fails the test
                    4. I rarely get flashed with the HIDs on, but it happens occasionally

The main beams are standard halogen and light the path to as far as I can ask. The mains are amazingly good.

In the past I fitted a relayed hi-power loom to my old T85 GT with 100W bulbs and it was fantastic. With this info from Espen I'd be game to try a similar trick. Not sure about the uprated Vreg though - not strictly necessary with beefier cable and relays up front to reduce voltage drop at the bulbs IMO.

Paul

Originally posted by EspenW View Post
                    Notes on retrofitting HIDs into halogen housing (check the video from British television):

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
                    http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...dvantages.html

I skipped the HIDs and installed relays and fat gauge wire. I also upped the voltage at the voltage regulator to 15.3v (provides more juice for the ignition and fuel pump as well). A brutal 15v at the bulb with this setup, vs less than 13v at the bulb with standard setup. Amazing light output, HID like power and whiteness, but totally legal and safe (HID in halogen housing gives stray light, see link above).
                    Paul Nugent
                    Webmaster http://S2central.net
                    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

That video on the daniel stern site is a bit misleading. It only shows HID's fitted to a reflector based headlamp, whereas the car next to it with OEM fitted HID is projector based

HID + reflector = crap, light scattered all over the place and a very poor defined cutoff.
                      HID + projector = miles better, with a good very well defined beam pattern and cutoff.

But as is always the case, they only show what they want to show

Comment

Agreed on that - I have projector / ellipsoid lights of course - thats why it passes the MOT, but they just don't give a nice crisp dipped beam... Compare to more modern optics on the Allroad.
                        Paul Nugent
                        Webmaster http://S2central.net
                        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                          In the past I fitted a relayed hi-power loom to my old T85 GT with 100W bulbs and it was fantastic. With this info from Espen I'd be game to try a similar trick. Not sure about the uprated Vreg though - not strictly necessary with beefier cable and relays up front to reduce voltage drop at the bulbs IMO.
                          Light output increases with increasing voltage to the 3.2 power.. but bulb life is decreased to the 12th power...
                          The 15v that I have at the bulb eats bulbs, burned a set of Nightbreakers in less than 15hours.. Standard bulbs last much longer, and at that voltage still gives amazing output.
                          Make sure the the voltage regulator provides 14.4v at the battery.
                          1994 80E Avant

Comment

Originally posted by terrybullwon View Post
                            There going to be alittle blue'ish... My friend has then in his evo on dipped and main.
                            Lower temperature rating actually means more light output. The new, yellowish 3000K xenons give the most lumens. OEM HIDS are 4300K, white light.
                            6K is more blue with less light output, while higher temps means less light and more purple shade.
                            1994 80E Avant

Comment

Working...
                            X