This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to....change the speedo clock

Did this a few weeks back so thought I would do a quick write up for reference:

Refers to 3B but 99.9% sure the exact same applies to ABY/AAN etc with exception of airbag wheels, there is probably some other connector to disconnect...

Usual disclaimers about follwoing an online guide/tip apply...at your own risk, don't sue my *** etc

Anyway.....here we go for 3B.

Firstly either disconnect the battery negative OR just remove the steering wheel cowl to disconnect the horn.

Now push the horn and turn either left or right until it comes away from the 3 mount points, put to one side.

Assuming the steering wheel is at dead centre, get a 24mm socket and extension, brace the wheel between your legs and undo the nut. Retrieve nut and sprung washer from unside the wheel. (You can skip this stage but I find it easier with the wheel out the way to be honest)

Remove the two screws holding the binnacle into the dashboard...note the clips are probably cracked or broken already as the plastic is brittle.

Wriggle the binnacle out and then using a flat blade screwdriver and working from behind the unit left to right (as you look at it from the front) unclip the connectors. These are U shaped, slip the flatblade under them and gently lever until they click out, then pull the connectors off. They are colour coded so easy to replace without remembering what goes where!

Once all done, unit is free to come out. Stage One complete

Grab a towel or similar to protect the unit and admire just how bad the peeling etc is

Flip it face down and remove the screws holding the computer/lcd display onto the rear of the unit. unclip the small pcb and wires which clip onto the back of the unit and then tease the whole section off the back....

You will then be left with this....

Now the screws holding the rest of the unit vary from model to model and year to year, mine had small torx screws (T10 from memory) but they could be anything...

Work round the unit removing the screws until all out....then carefully separate the board and clocks (complete) from the unit. NOTE the fuel guage adjuster knob will either fall out or remain in the unit, don't panic its fine.

This is what you have now:

The new speedo will be as a complete unit with rear plastic surround, so you will need to remove the current one first....I tried to just replace the clocks but the newer part has a small groove which interfers with the old backing plate

Remoe the two nuts and washers from the back of the fuel guage and gently unclip, then you can simply remove the speedo and platsic back.
    Last edited by s2driveruk; 6 July 2008, 09:16.
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Grab the speedo unit and refit the fuel guage to holder, re-fastening the two nuts to secure it to the board again

With the clocks facing you, retrieve the fuel gauge adjuster and slot back into the base of the fuel gauge, will will be able to see the adjuster mechanism on the board where the knob fits...DO NOT ADJUST THIS as you will mess up the needle position at full and empty!!!!!

Grab the binnacle and carefully side it back over the faces, taking care to slot the adjusters through the relevent holes.

flip the whole unit onto its face again (hold both the board and the unit together) and then refit the screws. The replace the computer module and clip back in the small pcb.

Unit is now complete

Refit to dash (reverse of removal and check backlights work)

Refit steering wheel, ensure it is back in original position, slide spring washer and nut on, tighten up, connect batter neg terminal if removed and JOB DONE...

Cheers
    David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

nicely done David Are you not going to adjust your mileage? Its pretty straight forward
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

nah i like my car only having done 168 so far probably lowest miles example in the UK, bar the 180k+ on the other clock
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Nice job! Will come in handy along with Bo's guide if i even plan on fitting the Plasma's!
          S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Glad you finally got it fitted david, I never got around to it and it just sat in the box in my room, plus you got a good price for the unit

Comment

nice price firkin bargain I'd have called it....!!!
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                nice price firkin bargain I'd have called it....!!!
                Lol glad to help you out mate

Comment

question - how do you change the mileage on the clocks? I'm not going all **** Dastardly, I just have a V6 on the drive and the clocks are buggrd so I want to replace them with a set I have spare but they're showing a good 30k out.
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  1990 CQ20v
                  2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Comment

Originally posted by fourcircle View Post
                    question - how do you change the mileage on the clocks? I'm not going all **** Dastardly, I just have a V6 on the drive and the clocks are buggrd so I want to replace them with a set I have spare but they're showing a good 30k out.
                    speak to s2_bo he should be able to help you out mate. (might be able to do it better than my first attempt )

Comment

Why remove the steering wheel i cleaned my facia and took the instrument panel out without taking the wheel off too much hassle

Comment

Originally posted by DEREKCO View Post
                        Why remove the steering wheel i cleaned my facia and took the instrument panel out without taking the wheel off too much hassle
                        Just makes it easier, i've removed speedo units loads of times without removing the steering wheel, just turn the unit on its back remove the wiring plugs and pull out the drivers side of the steering wheel

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic View Post
                          Nice job! Will come in handy along with Bo's guide if i even plan on fitting the Plasma's!
                          just get the damn things fitted you lazy goit
                          Haynes Manual:As described in Chapter 7...

Translation:That'll teach you not to read through before you start, now you are looking at scarey photos of the inside of a gearbox.

Comment

Can anyone tell me if the 3b dials will fit into an ABY? Are there any differences?
                            3'' Longlife Exhaust, Koni Adjustables, H&R Springs, Full RS2 Setup with Mr Nugents RS2 Chips (just need the RS2 Airbox)

Comment

not aware of any differences
                              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X