Ambient Temp Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ambient Temp Sensor

My ambient temp readout gives me an E most of the time, and sometimes (not often) the temp. When I do get a temp readout it starts at 60 degrees C and then drops to more or less the right temp.

I had a look on s2central how to test the sensor, but I can't find it behind the left headlight - but then I also have no clue what I am looking for My car is a 95 ABY Coupe with manual aircon.

Has anybody else had this problem before? Where do I find the sensor and what does it look like?

Tonight I have to replace the bulb behind the clock - anything I should check for on the instrument cluster while I have it out?
    1995 Silver S2 (ADU) Coupe
    2006 Porsche 997 Carrera S
    2006 Misano Red RS4
    2004 VW Touareg V8
    2007 Golf Mk1 Race Car
    2004 Mercedes Benz Vito 112CD

Its more like under the LEFT headlight (sitting in the car) and behind the front bumper. Pull out the little grill panel on left of bumper - you should see a small bracket where the sensor plugs into. Follow the wiring up to a 2-pin connector on the right side of the left headlamp.

The sensor is kind of a bullet shaped thing with a three pringed circular clip. Its black.

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Thanks Paul

I'll have a look tonight!

BTW I am going to install my Aquamist Pump behind the left headlight as I figured that is the coolest spot in the engine bay (and very close to the water tank). I'll get a stainless steel turbo pipe made up tomorrow as I don't think it is a good idea to tap the injector into a plastic pipe (I'll actually do both plastic pipes in SS and and have them ceramic coated). I'll let you guys know how things progress!

Originally posted by S2central.net
      Its more like under the LEFT headlight (sitting in the car) and behind the front bumper. Pull out the little grill panel on left of bumper - you should see a small bracket where the sensor plugs into. Follow the wiring up to a 2-pin connector on the right side of the left headlamp.

The sensor is kind of a bullet shaped thing with a three pringed circular clip. Its black.

Paul
      2006 Misano Red RS4
      2004 VW Touareg V8
      2007 Golf Mk1 Race Car

Comment

Sounds like the temp sensor is the same as the one fitted on my old MK1 Golf...... IIRC they arent cheap so careful not to break it (assuming its not already dead of course)
        Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
        2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

I found the ambient temp sensor - quite easy if the bumper is off

I then tried measuring the resistance and it is a totally open circuit! The sensor's wires were also open in one place and must have shorted every now and then.

Would this part have been used on other Audi's as well? The local breakers get a funny look in their eyes when I mention a S2 - only 40 odd were imported to South Africa. It is much easier to say that I am looking for a part from a 1995 A6 (neither the 80 nor 90 were never imported).
          2006 Misano Red RS4
          2004 VW Touareg V8
          2007 Golf Mk1 Race Car

Comment

Sure enough it fits a 1995 A6

Also fits:

A100 83-94
            A200 84-91
            A4 95-01
            A6 95-97
            A8 94-99

plus:

A80 87-96
            Coupe 89-96
            Cabrio 92-00

and even:

Passat 97-00

Should be at least one of that list in a breakers near you

HTH

Ben
            the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
            1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

I would like to fit an ambient temperature display to my Coupe. I assume that I may be able to get one from another audi/vw and transfer it.

Any thoughts? I have never seen one in the flesh I'm afraid.

were they more common/ standard fitment in any car?

David

Comment

Spending more time on getting my car to go faster and handle better, I never got round to fixing the ambient temp sensor till now. I bought a brand new sensor from Vagparts and fitted it today - and the readout still says "E"
                It also takes about 30 seconds after switching on the car before it gives the readout.

Any ideas what to try next?
                2006 Misano Red RS4
                2004 VW Touareg V8
                2007 Golf Mk1 Race Car

Comment

Working...
                X