Help !! - Main beam not working for MOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help !! - Main beam not working for MOT

I'm trying to get the S2 through it's MOT today but I'm having trouble with the main beam on my ellipsoids. Pull back the stalk to 'flash' and they come on fine but push it forward for normal high beam and they don't ( dips stay on ).
    All the indications are that it is the switch itself but I've had it apart and can't see anything wrong. I've given the contacts a clean where I could and all looks OK in the connector plug as well.
    It would be logical for the the feed from the switch to the lights to be the same for flash and normal main beam but could it be a separate circuit - is there anything else I should be checking between the switch and the lights ?
    Can I assume that if the flash function is OK that it must be the switch or connector ?

Just going to pick up some new A8 discs to try and finish off the 996 front brakes for the MOT as well but it's not going to pass without main beam
    Was trying to get it all done for Combe but it's not looking good.

Well I was going to suggest what you have already done!

Mine did this recently and all I did was spray WD40 into the switch part of the stalk and wiggle it backwards and forwards for a couple of minutes and all was good again.

There is nothing wrong with the wiring if the flash part works, it must be the stalk. If the above does not work, I suspect it is new stalk time...

HTH

Cheers,

Steve.
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

I was convinced it had to be the switch so I've just had it in bits again and I think I've sorted it. I had a closer look at how the contacts moved when the stalk was pushed/pulled and realised that one of the contact strips looked like it was upside down. It then dawned on me that it should in fact be located on the other side of the small contact it was supposed to touch when the stalk was pushed to main beam. I put it into it's correct position, reassembled the whole thing and plugged it back into the car and voila - main beam worked !!!! Not sure how it got like that but I now know the inside of the light switch quite well !!

Comment

Nice one trevor, how did you get on with your brakes?

Comment

Working...
        X