This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Wipers Intermitent Upgrade to Variable

Now the horrible weather has arrived and its been 6 years since I was last driving my S2 in these conditions....

I find it ruddy annoying that the car was never fitted with an adjustable setting for the intermitent front wipers...

Does anyone know if you can do a simple upgrade as in changing the stalk etc...

Has to be simple as I am a complete numpty when it comes to cars!!!! & I am the first to admit it!!!

Or can someone give detailed instructions on what is needed and what to do to fit 'em

Cheers

Ken!!!

sigpic

New S2 - S8 & RS2 -RS6 Keyrings

there is a relay for the adjustable intermittent.Vagparts use to sell it as an option

Comment

AFAIK you use a programable relay hooked up so you program it with the stalk on intermittent, here is a thread on it

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...ht=wiper+relay
      Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
      Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
        there is a relay for the adjustable intermittent.Vagparts use to sell it as an option
        Yeah I read that thread -

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...upgrade+wipers

But it seemed inconclusive... Unless I missed something?

What I had in mind was the switch type as fitted to my Fiesta ST, RS6 etc...

sigpic

Comment

Guess you could hook up a switch but where to put it? I would imagine it would be a pita to put a stalk from a newer car on.

I thought the relay setup was neat, push to intermittent, cancel, wait 7s, push to intermitent and it will wipe every 7s or whatever you want.
          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Here's a list of compatible VW's with the intermittent relay:

1995 Volkswagen Cabrio 2.0L ABA
            1996 Volkswagen Cabrio 2.0L ABA
            1997 Volkswagen Cabrio 2.0L ABA
            1992 Volkswagen Corrado SLC V6 AAA
            1993 Volkswagen Corrado SLC V6 AAA
            1994 Volkswagen Corrado SLC V6 AAA
            1993 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L GTI ABA
            1994 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L GTI ABA
            1995 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L GTI ABA
            1996 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L GTI ABA
            1993 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L GL ABA
            1994 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L GL ABA
            1995 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L GL ABA
            1996 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L GL ABA
            1990 Volkswagen Passat 2.0L GL 9A
            1991 Volkswagen Passat 2.0L GL 9A
            1992 Volkswagen Passat 2.0L GL 9A
            1993 Volkswagen Passat 2.0L GL 9A
            1995 Volkswagen Passat 2.0L GLS ABA
            1996 Volkswagen Passat 2.0L GLS ABA
            1997 Volkswagen Passat 2.0L GLS ABA
            1992 Volkswagen Passat 2.8L GLX V6 AAA
            1993 Volkswagen Passat 2.8L GLX V6 AAA
            1994 Volkswagen Passat 2.8L GLX V6 AAA
            1995 Volkswagen Passat 2.8L GLX V6 AAA
            1996 Volkswagen Passat 2.8L GLX V6 AAA
            1997 Volkswagen Passat 2.8L GLX V6 AAA
            Ben
            Calgary, Alberta
            Canada
            1991 CQ e//S2 w/ RS2 spec 3B 20vt
            Panther Black Metallic
            www.moda-architecture.ca

Comment

That programmable one is available as an Audi part number, which was mentioned on here a while ago as was the comfort indicator group buy.

I found the programmable wiper relay pretty good and handy solution to the problem of a fixed delay interval on Mk 1 and Mk2 Golfs. It could be set from about 2 secs to about 30 secs.

In a 99 Cab B4, it has the Ford type stalk that you are referring to and I mentioned it on here about 2/3 months ago and Paul (S2 Central) posted a comment on the thread, but I reckon he was too busy at the time to pursue it in any detail. After all he is only one man and has plenty of fish to fry already.

The other one which is great on the Cab is the interior light which "fades" up to full brightness and also fades out softly on the central locking.

Having used both front wipers delay systems, the Cab's flick of a micro rocker switch on the stalk is easy and handy, but if you only have the programmable one and get used to it with regular use it's not a chore to operate and gives a bit more "adjustability".

BTW, I've ordered a comfort relay from the dealer and should have it next week so I post how I get on with it. Just have to check where the factory indicator relay is as it is not in the fuse-box in the scuttle? Presume it is behind the driver's right knee panel / shelf?

Kind regards.

Comment

Thanks Guys,

Done some more digging.... & from what you are saying the VW 99 Relay is as good an option as any.... with it being programmable.....

So Just done a search for "VW no 99 Relay" and it threw up a number of UK sellers...

So I am currently watching all of them on fleabay....

Next DUMB question's as follows (I'm Good at these!!!)

A; Where is the relay that I have to replace....

B; What number am I looking for on the Audi Relay....

Again thanks!!!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Le S2 Audi View Post
                  Thanks Guys,

Done some more digging.... & from what you are saying the VW 99 Relay is as good an option as any.... with it being programmable.....

So Just done a search for "VW no 99 Relay" and it threw up a number of UK sellers...

So I am currently watching all of them on fleabay....

Next DUMB question's as follows (I'm Good at these!!!)

A; Where is the relay that I have to replace....

B; What number am I looking for on the Audi Relay....

Again thanks!!!!

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/tech_articl...e_fuse_box.htm

just put your mouse on the relays and click.....
                  the one you're looking for it's the "intermittent relay"
                  first row from the bottom
                  third relay from left

I got the programmable relay from the VW Golf on both RS2 and Cabrio installed and it's perfect once you get used to it, I believe it's logical practicle cheap and dead easy to fit..
                  I don't have the part number but i got it here on S2 Forum so it must be somewhere...

Stefano
                  http://www.audisportclub.com/

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/vbgoogl...227295&zoom=16

Comment

3B0 955 531 from an Audi dealer or VW dealer.

There's two versions, each slightly different as to how they are set.
                    The above is from a B5 A4 or VW Passat and is set as follows,
                    (assuming you have ignition on)

1/ Turn on intermttent,
                    2/ Turn off and wait the desired time interval,
                    3/ Turn back on intermittent and it will wipe at the interval you specified.

The version being sold via ebay from a VW Golf with the part number 357 955 531 is set differently,

1/ Turn on intermittent and count the time interval you want,
                    2/ Turn off and immediately turn back on again and it will wipe to the interval you specified.

Having tried both, the 3B0 relay I mentioned first is the better (personal choice) and is still working perfectly after 11 years of having it. The 357 died after only 4 years.
                    Last edited by Alam; 10 October 2009, 10:24.

Comment

Originally posted by David in Dublin View Post
                      That programmable one is available as an Audi part number, which was mentioned on here a while ago as was the comfort indicator group buy.

I found the programmable wiper relay pretty good and handy solution to the problem of a fixed delay interval on Mk 1 and Mk2 Golfs. It could be set from about 2 secs to about 30 secs.

In a 99 Cab B4, it has the Ford type stalk that you are referring to and I mentioned it on here about 2/3 months ago and Paul (S2 Central) posted a comment on the thread, but I reckon he was too busy at the time to pursue it in any detail. After all he is only one man and has plenty of fish to fry already.

The other one which is great on the Cab is the interior light which "fades" up to full brightness and also fades out softly on the central locking.

Having used both front wipers delay systems, the Cab's flick of a micro rocker switch on the stalk is easy and handy, but if you only have the programmable one and get used to it with regular use it's not a chore to operate and gives a bit more "adjustability".

BTW, I've ordered a comfort relay from the dealer and should have it next week so I post how I get on with it. Just have to check where the factory indicator relay is as it is not in the fuse-box in the scuttle? Presume it is behind the driver's right knee panel / shelf?

Kind regards.

Would be cool to see all the different relays that give different options and adds more comfort for the driver seem to learn of a new one every week on the forumWill keep on subscribing
                      Cheers mis amigos,
                      _Anton

Comment

Looking into it a bit further, the 357 955 531 being sold in a good few auctions on ebay will be secondhand. It does not exist new anymore as it was superceded by the other 3B0 version.

HTH.

Comment

3B0 955 531

Yes this is the one to go for. Had it on the car for years.

Comment

Thanks for all the info....

I cant find any of the 3B0 955 531 relays on Fleabay...

Any suggestions to where I might get one other than from the STEALERS....

Tried Pete@Quattro corner & he is coming back to me...

Again Thanks for all the help...

Great Responses... Cant wait to get one fitted and have a play!!!

sigpic

Comment

What about this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Wiper-rela...d=p3286.c0.m14

"3B0 955 531" is listed as one of the parts that this can replace.

Could be tempted to change this also.

Comment

Working...
                              X