Heated washer jets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heated washer jets?

Should an ABY have heated washer jets? Was this a standard feature? -15C on the A9 today, so mine weren't much use!

All the ones I have removed when doing a repaint are knackered! the wires corrode badly. I remember a two year old 80 with the wires falling out!
    I am sure if you fit new ones they'd work for a while, I think they only energise with the HRW on.
    Rob..
    94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
    87 UR 20v ABY
    97 S6 Avant
    96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
    1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Balls, another thing to fix and my heated rear window doesn't work either, haha. Out with the multimeter when the snow is away then!

Still just get replacement ones from Audi?

Cheers

Ciaran

Comment

hey.. did these ever come fitted to a type 85? Would be a useful thing to have in the winter.
        C4 A6 AEL avant quattro: daily

TYPE-85 Coupe Quattro: clicky
        2.5L GTi engineering RE2500 190hp.180lb
        Schrick 272 cam
        C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
        ITG filter

Comment

yeah except the fluid lines to the heated jet nozzles are't heated so really pretty pointless
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

these were for obviously made for de-icing the jets.if there's enough screen wash in,there'll be no problem.alot of screen wash only protects down to -4 or -5 celcius,even when used neat.one of halfords goes down to -15 when used neat.

Comment

Originally posted by philS2 View Post
              these were for obviously made for de-icing the jets.if there's enough screen wash in,there'll be no problem.alot of screen wash only protects down to -4 or -5 celcius,even when used neat.one of halfords goes down to -15 when used neat.
              I was using Halfords stuff, not neat though, prob 60/40 (concentrate/water) at a guess.

My headlamp washers were still working although all of the water was freezing onto the headlights and bonnet (apart from where the epsiloids were pathetically melting litle circles through it ).

The pipe that runs between the washers under the bonnet froze solid (melted on the running engine) but then I also realised that the pipe running up to the passenger side washer from the pump was frozen solid too, so not much that could be done about that.

Although I imagine that if the washer jets hadn't frozen up so quickly (and the heating in them worked!) the flow of liquid through the pipework would have prevented freezing there. The washers were basically needed every 5 minutes or so - which might have been sufficient time to stop it freezing in the lines.

Comment

I remember reading on this very forum, some time ago, that heated washer jets are permanently on when ignition is on (presumably meaning with engine running?) I know I'm not making this up and I'm pretty sure it's what the manual says as well! If that's the case they have a pretty hard life and it's doubtful any that were factory fitted are still working.
                Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

They are. Mine gave up years ago along with the driver's side heated door mirror.

Anybody any idea how much heated washers jets are from the Stealers?

John

Comment

think mine still work! even minus 3 and they sprayed ok
                    anyone know if td5(off topic) has them, get steam coming out now too

Comment

Originally posted by johne View Post
                      They are. Mine gave up years ago along with the driver's side heated door mirror.

Anybody any idea how much heated washers jets are from the Stealers?

John
                      I priced some up for a MK2 golf and they were £23.00 EACH plus vat...

Guess they might be similar in price!!

sigpic

New S2 - S8 & RS2 -RS6 Keyrings

Comment

Originally posted by bluequattro View Post
                        think mine still work! even minus 3 and they sprayed ok

Alright show off!

Not many little things that you take for granted work on mine, all part of the fun, or something like that. I'll get round to sorting them one of these days....

Comment

Remember seeing an idea,

that might be useful to someone, where the person had extended the plastic transparent supply hose, (Halfords sell it I think, in a light blue packet), and wrapped it a number of times around a hot water hose from the radiator, that way when the car's engine warmed up in the winter, or summer, the water sprayed on the windscreen was hot as opposed to, comparatively speaking, stone cold.

A trawl of e-bay may reveal a better device?

Kind regards.

Comment

Can't you just buy washing liquid that is strong enough for, let's say for -15c
                            Now quattro less, my urs4 stolen 13.8

Comment

Originally posted by quattro20v View Post
                              Can't you just buy washing liquid that is strong enough for, let's say for -15c
                              Can't see why not, if I can find -25c washer fluid here in little Belgium, surely you can find some in Great Britain
                              Midnight Blue S2 - SOLD - 1993 S2 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X