Trip computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not this tacho.

Never bothered me. But seeing I'm chasing around faults may as well get some niggles sorted.

Always the case when your happy you just go with the flow then when something bugs your happiness your fixing everything.

Comment

Bit of a read on G21 (Speedo) - blue connector

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showpos...88&postcount=5
      1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

G54 seems to be crankshaft sensor, don't know how that could be related

Must be something wrong if it's throwing up a G68 code.

As error, I think that yellow wire could be the cause.

"Something you can try is removing the coloured connectors at rear of cluster one at a time to see if the problem is associated with one of them.

T26 is the yellow one
        T26a is the is the blue one

G21 (speedo) only uses blue connector
        G3 (water) needs both
        G5 (tacho) needs both
        "
        1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Awesome. Thanks rynaqui. Keep me busy for a few hours.

Would help if the ramp was clear to get a look at the sensor for connections.

Comment

Hopefully it's not too much of a ballache to sort out
            1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Originally posted by rynaqui View Post
              Hopefully it's not too much of a ballache to sort out
              its an s2, what can go wrong

Comment

Originally posted by djh View Post
                its an s2, what can go wrong
                Replacing the radiator cost me a fair bit in other parts
                1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Here's hoping it isn't the fore mentioned

Must be a sensor in question. But saying that when reset it always goes back to the same figures doesn't just hold at zero

Comment

IIRC the speed signal is a blue and white wire, and the signal to the cluster comes from the G68 via the ECU not direct, therefore you'd think if the cluster was getting the signal the ECU was too. The yellow wire for the fuel consumption signal from the ECU plugs in in the spaghetti of wires beneath the drivers parcel shelf under the dash.

Heres a pic posted by Mcandmar some years ago.

The yellow plug is the fuel consumption signal from the ECU. The red one is redundant and not plugged in IIRC.

If the yellow cable is plugged in a looks OK, continuity check between the yellow plug and the ECU.
                    You can also check continuity between blue/white wire into T26a (blue) and the ECU for the speed signal.

Attached is the wiring schematic

HTH
                    Attached Files
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Some radios can also interfere with the operation of the trip computer. Guess how I know this

The speed signal is contained in the iso connectors for the radio to allow for altering the volume based on the speed of the vehicle. Some radios don't have this function or use a different connecting pin from that provided by the factory loom.

Try disconnecting the radio to check if trip computer function is restored
                      Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes2 View Post
                        Some radios can also interfere with the operation of the trip computer. Guess how I know this

The speed signal is contained in the iso connectors for the radio to allow for altering the volume based on the speed of the vehicle. Some radios don't have this function or use a different connecting pin from that provided by the factory loom.

Try disconnecting the radio to check if trip computer function is restored
                        My trip computer and speedo have never been right since I changed my radio unit...

If I were to disconnect the radio to see if the fault stopped; is it just a case of linking out one wire (speed signal) so it's no longer connected to the radio?
                        Cheers,
                        Grant

S2 Coupe ABY '94

Comment

That might work - do you have the pin outs for your radio as it's possible this wire is connected to a function on the radio that it shouldn't be. you can get wiring pin extractors for the connectors that will allow you to move the wire
                          Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes2 View Post
                            That might work - do you have the pin outs for your radio as it's possible this wire is connected to a function on the radio that it shouldn't be. you can get wiring pin extractors for the connectors that will allow you to move the wire
                            Hey Mike, sorry I never had a notification of your reply!

I disconnected the stereo on Wednesday to see what happened but the problem persisted. I did leave the IOS connector harness connected though, could this have maybe still interfered with the trip computer?

My stereo is a Pioneer DEH-4700BT - I can't find anything fancy wrt pinout though, is there anything fancy that may be going into the stereo from the car side?

Cheers,
                            Grant

S2 Coupe ABY '94

Comment

Just try disconnecting the ISO connectors entirely from the OEM loom
                              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Working...
                              X