Rs2 overheating???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rs2 overheating???

So today at 35 degrees Celsius and after a 2 hour trip I arrive home. Leave the car idle for a couple of minutes and see the temp rises high. The fan switches on and off in approx 40 seconds intervals.

I shut the engine off with the after run pump and after 1-2 minutes I start the engine again. The gauges show that and the fun runs in approx 40 sec intervals as before with the higher temps.

I believe my fan switch is shot. What is your opinion? Please note that when the aircon is on the fan runs all the time at tha 1st scale.
    Attached Files
    Go Holset or Go RS4

i think the middle (92-93c) speed of fan is not worky, only a high speed (105c) and low speed as you mentioned
    could be as simple as relay or a sensor. easy to test by jumping terminals on sensor pins on the radiator.

Comment

I think, in such high outside temp, is pretty normal.

Comment

mine gets higher than that works fine think its just down to the sender , the fan switch is in the rad
        service tec @ East Kent Audi
        S2 ABY
        B8.5 A4

Comment

btw what is your normal cruising temp?

Comment

I have an 82 degrees thermostat instead of the 88 that was used originally. On normal warm days 28-30 degrees outside I cruise with 85-88.

In the winter it is 80-82.

How should I jumper the cables?
            Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

if the sensor is the same as in older cars, ie 3 pin

http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl...g/cooling.html
              scroll to the 8/10 of the page
              2ND AND 3RD SPEED RADIATOR FAN TESTING

Comment

I have read it. Anyone know the original fan switch part number for the RS2?
                Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

you have read it and what? have you performed any tests?

191959481C

Comment

I will perform them tomorrow before I buy a switch to check if the relays work.

Is there any test for the switch? Can I measure Ohm resistance or something else there?
                    Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

well, if shorting contacts does start the mid and fast fan speeds accordingly, and it does not happen when driving, then your sensor is shot.

Comment

I agree with Domas... But, take in consideration the fact that, the mfts wich is sending the signal for the gauge is in the exit from the head... And the termoswitch for the fan is in the lowest part of the radiator... Temperature difference is pretty big between these points.

Comment

it is. the temperatures are still not normal IMHO.

Comment

I have never seen in the past that kind of temperatures.
                            Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Then, as Domas told you... Check the thermoswitch... Is pretty easy.
                              Goodluck!!

Comment

Working...
                              X