No announcement yet.

Rs2 overheating???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My car runs great 38c outside at the moment, running bang on temperature, A bad radiator is the normal problem, last time I had cooling problems I did not want to believe it was the rad as is was not so old, replaced it finally and perfect running temps, no aux rad
    RS 2 580HP

Comment

I have aux rad. Main radiator and thermostat are 23000km old. Tomorrow I will know!
      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Originally posted by Billman View Post
        I have aux rad. Main radiator and thermostat are 23000km old. Tomorrow I will know!
        Do you have a infared thermometer, You can check opening temps and rad bottom and top temps, if the lower part is lower temperture and top very hot that normally means the rad has failed, my former rad had only cover simular kms that why I was so slow to change it....
        RS 2 580HP

Comment

I can find one! will do.
          Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

It seems to me that you have this second speed not working. I had a same problem 2 weeks ago. After some checking I found a broken wire on the resistor plate for the fan. You could not see it because the shrink tubing was still holding it in place but after I grab the wire it was clear that is broken.
            I ended up replacing about half a meter of wire on all three conections to resistor because the wire had buned up and corroded inside ( turned black).

Comment

I can find one! will do.
              useful tool

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handheld-D...item541b129492

I have a Fluke 61
              RS 2 580HP

Comment

Απ: Rs2 overheating???

I tested the contacts/relays. The scales work Ok on the test.

With the switch connected only the 3 scale comes on and off at 15 sec intervals. I bought a switch. Will report back. The lower part of the rad had almost the same temp as the upper.a couple degrees difference.
                Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

I changed the switch today. This is where it sits with 35 degrees outside.
                  Attached Files
                  Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Today I had again the same issue with the temps at 33 outside temp and traffic. A/C was off for the test and the 2. Stage if the fan was not working with the ac on the temps drop to 93-94.

I have changed the sensor and I also interchanged relais and still got no 2 fan speed. I had not the chance to check the switch connector again as I was on the road. I believe I have a bad contact maybe on the resistor pack.
                    Attached Files
                    Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

The temperature gauge may be a little high ,but the oil temperature looks normal.
                      If the engine was to hot it would show on the oil temperature gauge.

Comment

Today with 33 Celsius outside the oil temp also rise.

The stages of the fan work but I think it takes longer to start working.

Starting to think that either the thermostat does not open fully and/or the rad ist not flowing properly.

The top to bottom clearly had a difference and measured approx 15-20 degrees.
                        Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

[QUOTE=Billman;871257]Today with 33 Celsius outside the oil temp also rise.

The stages of the fan work but I think it takes longer to start working.

Starting to think that either the thermostat does not open fully and/or the rad ist not flowing properly.

The top to bottom clearly had a difference and measured approx 15-20 degrees.[/QUOTE

Replaced radiator, as i suggested, thats sounded like the problem from the start
                          RS 2 580HP

Comment

Measured today again with AC off all the time (so no Stage 1) from cold till ultra warm (33 degrees temp today here. The radiator top to bottom temp difference was 10 degrees almost all the time with steady temps on it. The fan came on and off at steady intervals as the car was idling but the temp on the gauges kept climbing on till the point as in the previous pictures. The thermostat housing temp was at max 90 degrees (82 degrees stat).

I am thinking that maybe the temp sensors on the head and water collector are heat soaking. Any opinions? Should I change the radiator either way?
                            Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Measured today again with AC off all the time (so no Stage 1) from cold till ultra warm (33 degrees temp today here. The radiator top to bottom temp difference was 10 degrees almost all the time with steady temps on it. The fan came on and off at steady intervals as the car was idling but the temp on the gauges kept climbing on till the point as in the previous pictures. The thermostat housing temp was at max 90 degrees (82 degrees stat).

I am thinking that maybe the temp sensors on the head and water collector are heat soaking. Any opinions? Should I change the radiator either way?
                              Radiator fan should stay on if temps going up, Fan comes on cools lower section fan turns off, temp keeps climbing, answer bad circulation
                              RS 2 580HP

Comment

Thats what I said. With the gun the rad temps (and thermostat housing temps) where steady while the gauge and clima temps kept climbing.
                                Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Working...
                                X