need some help for 324 control module..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error 404

Assuming the original design was done right, the real question is: Why the parts are burnt out now and what caused it ?. Don't have a schematic handy, but assume the module drives a relay to switch the pump supply ?. If so, might be worth checking or replacing the relay, otherwise the intermittent short could happen again. If not, might be worth adding a relay, to minimise stress on the module...

Comment

Originally posted by Tridac View Post
      Assuming the original design was done right, the real question is: Why the parts are burnt out now and what caused it ?. Don't have a schematic handy, but assume the module drives a relay to switch the pump supply ?. If so, might be worth checking or replacing the relay, otherwise the intermittent short could happen again. If not, might be worth adding a relay, to minimise stress on the module...
      the module is connected directly to the pump, is a relay it self but you can add another in series. it may be an idea to safeguard it, but i think that if all is in good condition the module work well

Comment

Originally posted by ziopinulo View Post
        the module is connected directly to the pump, is a relay it self but you can add another in series. it may be an idea to safeguard it, but i think that if all is in good condition the module work well
        I have created the diagram below for the S2s and RS2s based on S2Central's S2 wiring pdf . In doing so, I discovered two things:

1. The C4 UrS J69 (214) fan relay is called a J138 on the S2.
        2. There is a resistor (N47) in series with the fan in Stage 1 that my C4 UrS diagram did not show.

As a result, if a S2 after-run fan is not coming on but the V51 After-run pump is coming on, you need to check the S5 fuse, the S20 fuse, and the N47.

After-run pump System info: http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/21503.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Had I taken the trouble to look upthread, rather than diving in, I would have realised that :-). One posibility is that the pump startup current is excessive, due to bearing wear, or its clagged up with muck. From the photo, it's quite a small power transistor driving the pump, with little or no heat sinking, so the original design may have been a bit close to the edge anyway. Looks like there's enough room inside the module for a miniature relay, which would avoid loom changes. May have a go at this soon, then report back with photos...

Comment

Originally posted by Tridac View Post
            Had I taken the trouble to look upthread, rather than diving in, I would have realised that :-). One posibility is that the pump startup current is excessive, due to bearing wear, or its clagged up with muck. From the photo, it's quite a small power transistor driving the pump, with little or no heat sinking, so the original design may have been a bit close to the edge anyway. Looks like there's enough room inside the module for a miniature relay, which would avoid loom changes. May have a go at this soon, then report back with photos...
            the small power transistor dont have heat sinking in fact..
            await your news!

Comment

Bd435

Just pulled the data sheet for the transistor and it's only a piddly little 4 amp device and not vey high gain at that, especially at low temperatures. If you are going to replace it, pick a 10 or 15amp device, perhaps even a darlington, to make sure it is always fully turned on. Something like a Texas TIPxx series, which has a slightly larger outline and a full metal tab to spread the heat, or to mount a heatsink.

A relay would still be best though, as it provides electrical isolation between the pump motor and the rest of the circuit...

Comment

Working...
              X