Rear Wiper not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Wiper not working

The rear wiper on my coupe has always taken a couple of taps to make it work but now it seems to have stopped completely. It did work once yesterday but not today..
    The washer pump is working but no wipe.
    Where's the best place to start fault finding, bearing in mind it's hissing with rain at the mo so don't want to be outside for long!
    Can't remember if relay 239 is in the fuse box or under the dash. [emoji848]
    I'd rather not take the stalk apart right now!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

I had same problem with my RS2 rear wiper

Check the wiring loom at top of the hatch/tailgate (Left hand side at top of tailgate on my RS2) the wires had rubbed through over a period of time just pull back the rubber gaiter if there is one and have a look at the wires.

Hope this help you

John

Comment

Rear Wiper not working

Good point, I'll have a look when and if the weather improves!
      After a bit of search and study of Mike's website I found the 239 relay under the rear seat and it's clicking ok so I'm thinking either tailgate wiring or the wiper motor itself.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

I changed the wiper motor first and then realised it was the wiring

Comment

Top tip john, and I'm sure you already know this... Squirt wd40 into the contacts on the stalk in the steering column and wiggle the stalk around in all various positions to clean the contact points up. For the first 3.5 years of avant ownership my rear wiper never worked. I did this and it has worked for the last 4.5 years without fail!

Also make sure you have plenty of rag to catch any drips!

Hope it works for you.

Comment

I have the same issue on mine. Changed the motor and it was the same. Cleaned the switch contacts and fixed it. It's been about 18 months and it's stopped working again.
            91 Modded 3B
            14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Thread highjack!Sorry John
              My avant rear wiper is playing up.If you push it once to do a quick clean it only goes half way and then stops where as if you do a big push to make it do a couple of wipes it works fine.
              Gotta be motor or relay??
              Have cleaned the switch contacts to no effect
              Rob

Ragussa green avant RS2+ spec
              Racing blue Octavia VRS mk2 estate-Remapped now to 250 bhp
              Audi coupe gt-slow as hell but loads of character-sold

Comment

Hi Rob,

That is just what mine was doing on my RS2 I will nearly 100% guarantee it will be the wiring loom from car to tailgate most of the plastic coating will have worn off with the tailgate opening and closing over the years just pull back the rubber gaiter and you will hopefully find your problem

John

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
                  I have the same issue on mine. Changed the motor and it was the same. Cleaned the switch contacts and fixed it. It's been about 18 months and it's stopped working again.

Thing is with mine, the relay clicks and the washer pump makes a noise (bottle is now empty from all the wipe attempts!)
                  So I would think the stalk is ok [emoji848]

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bertman View Post
                    Thread highjack!Sorry John

My avant rear wiper is playing up.If you push it once to do a quick clean it only goes half way and then stops where as if you do a big push to make it do a couple of wipes it works fine.

Gotta be motor or relay??

Have cleaned the switch contacts to no effect

And you'll have used the tailgate a lot in the avant so maybe wiring, I rarely use the boot of the coupe so I think it's less likely, I'll have a look though.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Christophski View Post
                      Top tip john, and I'm sure you already know this... Squirt wd40 into the contacts on the stalk in the steering column and wiggle the stalk around in all various positions to clean the contact points up. For the first 3.5 years of avant ownership my rear wiper never worked. I did this and it has worked for the last 4.5 years without fail!

Also make sure you have plenty of rag to catch any drips!

Hope it works for you.

Did washer work and wiper not work??

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

4 out of 5 wires in my loom broke!

quite amazed as none of the wires in my door loom have broken and i'm sure i use the doors more than the tailgate.

Loom is easy enough to remove in it entirety to make a repair - it plugs in behind a panel behind the spare wheel, round plug if iirc.

squirt of silicone spray helps feed it back through the rubber boot on refit.

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
                          4 out of 5 wires in my loom broke!

quite amazed as none of the wires in my door loom have broken and i'm sure i use the doors more than the tailgate.

Loom is easy enough to remove in it entirety to make a repair - it plugs in behind a panel behind the spare wheel, round plug if iirc.

squirt of silicone spray helps feed it back through the rubber boot on refit.

Was this an avant or coupe Steve?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

coupe.

It is probably possible to solder a repair with it in-situ if you have enough slack but it is so much easier doing it on the dining room table in the warm (once you have got the loom out)

Comment

I replaced the loom in a Coupe I had - it was that bad from previous repairs.

Available on Tradition.
                              Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X