Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel filter

Hi all,

Last Sunday morning I changed my fuel filter, I’ve heard conflicting views about service intervals for these, well mine looked like a fossil strapped under there and I doubt it has been changed in the 120K miles the car has done.
    Anyway I cut it open tonight (as you do) to have a look inside and whilst I don’t go poking around inside things everyday the paper filter element certainly seemed past its prime to me. I know that a fuel pump generates a lot more ‘puff’ than my lungs, but when I tried to blow through it, I hardly could.
    Interestingly I wonder if changing this for the new one caused my over fuelling problem on the RR on Monday, due to more fuel getting through to the rail? As a lot more must have been getting through with the new filter.

Oh well…….something to think about, perhaps yours might need changing too.

Cheers,

Mark.
    Attached Files
    Mark - Modded

The dirty paper filter element.
    Attached Files
    Mark - Modded

Comment

Good point, I had a fossilised fuel filter too and had it recently replaced, also with about the same milieage. Don't know why anyone would want a fossil on their car
      *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
      Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

Lee might have that problem as well.

Where is it located on the coupe - I don't remember seeing it - Might as well do that before Mihnea remaps my car.
        S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Doug,

On the nearside, more or less under/behind where the Battery is, its covered by a plastic cover. 10mm socket needed to get it out.

Mark.
          Mark - Modded

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
            Lee might have that problem as well.

Where is it located on the coupe - I don't remember seeing it - Might as well do that before Mihnea remaps my car.
            Bought one today from the stealers, about 12 quid. On the Avant I have been told that it is tucked up next to the fuel tank. Will change the fuel pump too to something better. I hope that cures my problem although I am going to re-lap my dump valve and might get a blue spring from Forge which is a higher poundage as mine doesn't always hold boost. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.....wierd.

My filter has done 140k (most of them were hard in my hands!) and after Tom mentioned how crappy his came out it would have been changed, problems or not.

Change your fuel filter guys! (and clean your MAFs expecially if you are like me and don't service your oiled filters often enough).

Lee
            1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
            Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Got around to fitting mine last night before travelling to my folks. W@ankers at the stealership had given me the wrong one. Took the old one out and the new one was about 0.25" bigger on the OD and about 1" longer (guess they gave me Coupe one). On the avant it sits tight up in a cylindrical scollop in the fuel tank. Bolt was also rusted solid (and completely inaccessible with the tank in situ). I was screwed, had 270 miles to drive and I need to put the new filter in! Bodged it in by cutting away the existing mounting bracket which is plastic and bonded to the plastic fuel tank...sidecutters took care of that!
              Still, did that 270 miles in 2hours 20minutes last night! LOL! My personal best...would have been quicker if I didn't have to coast the last 50 miles at about 70mph because there were no bloody fuel stations open on Christmas eve!! PS Mr nosey policeman, I might be lying!! LOL!

Anyway, my problem is still there. Lots of hesitation during ~1.4bar boost but as soon as the boost pressure drops to 1 bar or below she runs fine again. In orther words, its a complete pig below 4k rpm and then it runs OK. Ask the scooby, rover, bmw, etc drivers last night!!

I'll just keep beating that list of potential problems down! I'll have an entirely new/overhauled fuel and intake system at this rate! I am wondering if I am having difficulty generating a spark more than fuel starvation new plugs in the morning! Pump next?!?
              1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
              Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Mark,

This was a great "heads up" to everybody. I think mine was changed about 20k ago. I will have to check my records. I think it is one of the things that tends to get forgotten.

Rich

Comment

Working...
                X