Holsets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holsets

As there seem to be some interest in these humble beasts, here is few photos of my shelf.

In the pictures are featured HX35 and HX40 (#20 exthousing) You also see the modification to oil input, suggest that mod to all turbos, easyes installation and maintenance. There is also few pictures of the #18 exthousing.

One thing I like to point out and make a simple point, if you look the shape of the exhaust housing it is wide as h*ll, compare that to the normal "garret" type housing, they are taller and narrower. When you compare A/R ratios as they are ratios of volume of the housing and radius of the exhaust wheel +housing radius.

The turbine housing A/R (area/radius) ratio is the area (A) of any turbine inlet scroll cross-section divided by the distance from the center of that cross-section to the center of the turbine shaft (R). For any given turbine housing, A and R vary in the same proportions, so all As divided by their corresponding Rs yield the same dividend--which is the A/R ratio.

http://holsetit.nosturi.net/holset-10.jpg
    http://holsetit.nosturi.net/holset-11.jpg
    http://holsetit.nosturi.net/holset-12.jpg
    http://holsetit.nosturi.net/holset-13.jpg
    http://holsetit.nosturi.net/holset-14.jpg

And If you bothered to read this far, the point being: as the turbo is "centrifugal force" trusting device, what is better to have lot of wing surface area to the tips of the wings or middle of the wings? Think that and gives an input

(disclaimer: I'm NOT an expert, just one enthustiast and I'm just telling what i THINk)

The turbo on the left is the HX35? I am a bit confused! Mine says at both plates HX40W but it looks like your HX35 and not like the bigger one you have there! yours is with 6 blades, mine is with 8.

For both turbos at the plates says HX40W
    See the pictures:

Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

I just measured my Inducer diameter and it is ~57 mm so i think that my Compressor wheel has a small diameter of 56mm.

For what would this compressor wheel be good?
      Should i put a 6 blade 60mm Wheel and housing?

According to infos i found on the net yours should be with a 60mm Inducer and 6 blades. Our middle sections are the same part numbers.
      Last edited by Billman; 19 June 2006, 09:22.
      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

a GT30R has a inducer of 57mm, so the hx 35 is arround the same flow.

Comment

Originally posted by diesel des
          a GT30R has a inducer of 57mm, so the hx 35 is arround the same flow.
          Mine is a HX40 but apparently they came also with Smaller than 60mm wheels.
          Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

I have a early Hx 35 H1C and it has a 50mm inducer and 82mm exducer compressor, with 60mm small 70mm large diameter turbine. Just for reference. Its from a 5.9L cummins.

Comment

This seems to the case of different market areas, there must be somekind of difference between european versions and usa versions or something, I have seen several hx40 turbos and they ALL have been 60/65. I dont remeber what was dieameter of the hx35 I believe its 54/57 but I check that.

Comment

There are at least 20 varients of the hx 35. They all will have slightly different charistics and sizes. Just like garrett i suppose.

Comment

Mine are HX40w from MAN trucks!

It has 56-57mm compressor inducer diameter and 64-65 mm Turbine Exducer. The center section has the same numbers as your HX40 AnLe.

What should i expect now from this Compressor wheel dimensions?

I think i am going to sell the one to buy me a new 60mm Compressor wheel!
                  Last edited by Billman; 19 June 2006, 17:06.
                  Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

What about this one?
                    Attached Files

Comment

hx 55 on ebay by any chance??? A bit large, unless 600 -750 bhp is required.

Comment

@AnLe

In witch models-engines was this 60mm 6 blade HX40 Turbo?
                        Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

I don't know, they are widely used in truks (do you call them as lorry?) and other heavy equipment suchs as catepillars and so on. The hx35 I have is from excavator, and yes there is many versions of it, but the model hx40, I have yet not seen any other than 60/65.

As I'm very interested to get no-backpressure situation, I tryed to buy 57mm turbinewheel to make even more un-even wheels making it 57/65, no the official holset repair shop nor the other turboshops here couldnt come up with different than 60mm wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by AnLe
                            As I'm very interested to get no-backpressure situation, I tryed to buy 57mm turbinewheel to make even more un-even wheels making it 57/65, no the official holset repair shop nor the other turboshops here couldnt come up with different than 60mm wheel.

When you say 57 Turbinewheel do you mean Compressor Wheel??

My turbos are excactly like this and they are from Stock MAN Trucks.
                            Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Anyone know how the Holset turbine housings numbers are?

What is the 3591108 01 164

and what is the 3523066 18 128

Both are turbine housings!
                              Last edited by Billman; 20 June 2006, 18:40.
                              Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Working...
                              X