still having oil problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still having oil problems...

I pulled the oil pan off this weekend to see what I could see. No overalls in there. Everything looks normal. The oil pick-up tube was clear and sealed properly. Also did a compression test: 134-135-139-134-135 - perfectly normal. However, the oil is still getting frothy/foamy even after only a short 30 second run time. Let it sit for a day or two and the oil returns to normal. Start it up and the oil goes foamy again. Also, my oil pressure warning light comes on immediately and stays on. Yet, my oil pressure gauge shows 5 bar. I'm a little stumped about that one.
    Can anyone give me the proper procedure for starting a 'new' engine for the first time including how and where to prime it with oil. Perhaps as someone suggested earlier, there is an airlock somewhere.

Thanks!
    Ben
    Calgary, Alberta
    Canada
    1991 CQ e//S2 w/ RS2 spec 3B 20vt
    Panther Black Metallic
    www.moda-architecture.ca

The only way i could see oil frothing like this is if you have a slight leak on the suction side of the pump, sucking in air, if there was no leak it could only suck up oil, and without air how could it go frothy??? , The only other way you could get frothy oil is through cavitation within the pump, but cavitation is not bubbles of air, more bubbles of vaccum, or vapourised oil. But at the speeds our pumps run the last 2 can be ruled out.

HTH as it is a tricky one, how does the suction pipe attach itself to the back of the pump, is there an o-ring or a joint which can leak.

Ahh another suggestion could be if there is no where for the oil to go i.e. a blockage or the relief valve is set wrong
    Graham
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

When I build engines I always back purge the oild pump just prior to starting the engine. This is done on my 'A' series engine (MG Midget etc.) by taking off the external oil line and then pouring oil down the pipe towards the pump. The engine is then turned over until the oil galleries in the rocker gear have oil flowing through them.

Do not start your engine until you have good oil pressure!!!

Your oil pressure relief valve could be jammed and this icould be causing the frothing?

I don't know if the pressure relief valve and the pressure switch are in the same area. You could be getting 5 bar at the pump but it is being lost further down the gallery.

This is a problem on 'A' series engines and the old plunger is swapped for a large ball bearing.

Check the pressure relief valve, if it is stuck open it will not help.

Comment

sorry, can't add some usefull info here... But greetings to Calgary!!!
        I lived there for 5 years and it was wonderful!!
        *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
        Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

That must be where you got the snow for your signature pic! Coincidence - I am of Dutch origin. Mother from Eindhoven, Father from near Arnhem! Beautiful country!

Ben
          Calgary, Alberta
          Canada
          Panther Black Metallic
          www.moda-architecture.ca

Comment

Originally posted by archiboy24
            Coincidence - I am of Dutch origin. Mother from Eindhoven, Father from near Arnhem! Beautiful country!

Is that a fact? Cool
            I lived 8 years of my youth (now 26) in Canada (5 years Calgary, 2 years Kingston and 1 year Montreal) and I wish we stayed there to be perfectly honest, everything is so small and packed together here it drives me nuts!

Oh and the snow in the winter was awesome! Here I have to be happy to get a couple of cm's snow per YEAR!
            The hot summers we're great too!
            Anyway, sorry for rambling off-topic here admins
            Hey maybe when I look up my old roots I'll drop by, hehe
            *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
            Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

Are you getting oil at the camshaft?
              Stupid question but is the head gasket on the right way round? I know on some cars like fiat you can get the gasket both ways and block oil feed to cam but engine will still run until it siezes. (I haven't done it but I know someone who has!!)
              I had a head off a 3b a few months ago but can't remember about the orientation of the gasket,(been to sleep since! )
              Just a suggestion, maybe worth a pm to Doug rs2 about the gasket, he has his in bits at the moment!
              hth,
              regards,
              Chris
              A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Originally posted by A6 AVANT
                Are you getting oil at the camshaft?
                Stupid question but is the head gasket on the right way round? I know on some cars like fiat you can get the gasket both ways and block oil feed to cam but engine will still run until it siezes.
                regards,
                Chris
                Chris, I can't tell if I'm getting oil up in the head. When I remove the filler cap, the plastic baffle block any view of the cams. I certainly didn't see any oil splshing around though.
                I believe the head gasket can only go on one way. I have an extra in the garage which I'll have a look at.

Thanks!

Ben
                Ben
                Calgary, Alberta
                Canada
                Panther Black Metallic
                www.moda-architecture.ca

Comment

I know it's a pain, but the only way would be to remove the cam cover and run it up for a few seconds to find out. Obviously you are getting oil pressure at the pump but warning buzzer on dash which I think is related to head pressure. If oil way is blocked or gasket on wrong way it could cost a pretty penny to put right! :eek2:
                  Another scenario could be a loose camshaft cap allowing oil to bleed away the pressure. We used to have a Peugeot diesel van that we fitted a dealer engine to and they had fitted a cap that was too large and over 50mph filled the airbox with oil! Took us ages to find it and we were not too impressed with Peugeot!
                  Just for piece of mind I would take the cam cover off and make sure the oil is there and the caps are tight and in the right sequence and right way round.
                  HTH
                  Regards
                  Chris
                  A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Ben - you have a PM - Send me your email address and I will send some info on testing the oil pressure sender and exploded view of the oil pickup pipe and oil pressure valve etc.

Doug
                    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Working...
                    X