Removing engine block coolant core plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing engine block coolant core plugs

How are people getting their core plugs out? I've just spent the best part of an hour removing two from a spare block as practise. Bashing, drilling, chiselling, heating, whacking, swearing etc etc.

Before I start on the block I am building up, are there any top tips to share or is just a case of smash whack and bend the little sods out? I notice there is a lip in the block they push up to so it is no go for driving them round in their hole with a pin punch.

This is how I get them out, chain drill a series of holes from the centre down to the edge, then link them together ( I use a die grinder ) so you can get a pry bar in. Add some heat to the block, then lever them out

sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Nice one. I had found drilling and cold chiselling worked best out of a bad bunch - what a pain in the ar£e job it is and I have the luxury of doing it on the bench and not in an engine bay! I have to say though - the plugs seem rustler on the outside than the inside which is odd and im wondering if it's worth it now!

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
        the plugs seem rustler on the outside than the inside which is odd and im wondering if it's worth it now!
        I've found that too! If it's been run on the correct coolant, they shouldn't be rusty, so that's a good sign.

sigpic
        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

I shall carry on and do them so I can see shiny core plugs but as you say - it looks like the correct coolant has been used so it is a cosmetic job rather than necessary job.

Comment

So are these a ****** to get out then? I am planning to drive mine out and on a couple of youtube clips they seemed reasonable easy…this is sounding not the case

am i right thinking they are 38mm. Any benefit in going stainless steel or brass…or just usual mild steel.
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

They aren't hard to get out by whatever method you choose. Just don't damage the block in the process as the new ones will leak whatever they are made from.
              91 Modded 3B
              14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Worth adding the one with a water feed for the turbo while you're at it

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                  So are these a ****** to get out then? I am planning to drive mine out and on a couple of youtube clips they seemed reasonable easy…this is sounding not the case

am i right thinking they are 38mm. Any benefit in going stainless steel or brass…or just usual mild steel.
                  I bought a few mild steel and stainless ones when I had to replace some on my coupe. Stainless is much harder than mild and after trying to fit one without success I was worried if I did manage to brute force it in it either wouldn’t seal properly or it might damage the head/block so I went for the mild ones which went in fairly easily.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rikki Kitto View Post
                    Worth adding the one with a water feed for the turbo while you're at it
                    That one is the only one that fills me with a bit of dread
                    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post

I bought a few mild steel and stainless ones when I had to replace some on my coupe. Stainless is much harder than mild and after trying to fit one without success I was worried if I did manage to brute force it in it either wouldn’t seal properly or it might damage the head/block so I went for the mild ones which went in fairly easily.
                      Agreed, that was my thinking. Brass looked like a decent option but maybe new mild steel is the right path even if the aesthetic isn't quite as good!
                      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I'd go with MS, easy to install and much the same thermal property's as cast iron, expands and contracts at very close to the same rate.
                        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Thanks…i guess that seals that!
                          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Quite literally.

Though do take your time removing the old ones, as Steve very rightly points out damaging the block is pretty much irreversible.
                            1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                            1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                            1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                            1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

I do have a spare block but it’s not the route I want to go and actually can’t remember what it even is, aby I think.
                              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X