Oil restriction in turbo supply hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil restriction in turbo supply hose

The oil isn't draining fast enough on my RS2 turbo, so the oil supply builds up pressure and keeps leaking at the turbo oil supply.
    If I put a restriction in the supply hose, would it be safe for my turbo?
    [SIGPIC]1997 Ur-S6 SMS Revo S

It doesn't sound safe to me restricting lubrication and cooling for a highly stressed component. I would check the drain hose to see if that can be blocked somehow. It all worked perfectly well from the factory so it shouldn't be necessary to change it. Is the leak due to an issue with the gasket or seal ?

Comment

We fit restriction to the turbo's we fit on the drag / road bikes but on this application I think steve is right. Look at your gaskets/ seals. Good luck

Comment

some turbos have a restrictor. dont think the rs2 is one of them.

i have seen similar and it can result in turbo failure. check return line is not got buildup in it

check threads on the turbo feed line if necessary. an overtighten is as bad a too loose

Comment

I had the same problem with my car. It was clogged hose of PCV system. After cleaning the system, the turbo stop leaking

Comment

Considering the size of the drain hose it should be able to drain fast enough with room to spare if it isn't blocked. If your turbo needs an oil restricor (due to bearing/seal design), it will be supplied with one. Don't risk it.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Comment

Restrictors are usually only fitted to BB turbos like the Garret GTs

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

I put oil in the supply of turbo and it drains really slowly so tomorrow I'm putting in a restriction in supply hose

Comment

Don't do it fella you will fook the turbo it takes seconds. we fit 1-5 mm restrictors coz all the turbo,s we fit are race fitment..Do you know what turbo it is ?. Is it a Chinese copy ?.

Comment

Originally posted by audi660 View Post
                    The oil isn't draining fast enough on my RS2 turbo, so the oil supply builds up pressure and keeps leaking at the turbo oil supply.
                    If I put a restriction in the supply hose, would it be safe for my turbo?
                    What makes you think the oil line isn’t draining fast enough have you removed it and checked it’s ok? rs2 don’t use oil restrictors there journal bearings not bb turbos which need restrictors,and most likely not safe.

Comment

Originally posted by audi660
                      I put oil in the supply of turbo and it drains really slowly so tomorrow I'm putting in a restriction in supply hose
                      Did you have the drain hose removed from the turbo. What I mean is did it drain slowly from drain hole on the turbo bearing section or slowly from the end of the hose.

Also how did you put the oil in. If you tipped it in with the turbo removed it will drain slowly as it is not being pumped in under pressure.

Comment

What type of inlet do you have? If it's a gasket type the gasket might be broken. If it's a screw in, try ptfe tape around the threads, that cured the leak on my Garret.

Comment

Originally posted by audi660 View Post
                          a restriction will only reduce pressure if there is flow through it, since you say there already is a reduction and because of that not enough flow, adding another restriction is not going to to help

Comment

Would you purposely restrict oil flow to your big ends?

Cure the leak, do not fit a restrictor

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                            sigpic

Comment

I put a restriction of 1.5mm at the turbo oil inlet and a 3.8mm on the other side of the hose that goes onto the block.
                              That has stopped the oil leak, but the oil is still not draining fast enough coz now the oil is going past the seals and the car is smoking.
                              Should I make the 3.8mm hole smaller to restrict the oil pressure a little more?

Comment

Working...
                              X