No announcement yet.

Oil restriction in turbo supply hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why bother asking if you're not going to listen to the answers?
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

You shouldn't have any restrictors unless you have a ball bearing turbo. The return hose should be as wide as possible, so no restriction at all. Did you read the previous posts??
      91 Modded 3B
      14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Don't mess up an expensive turbo - change the drain hose for a new one and make sure it is draining properly that way, it might have been kinked at some point and is not visible under the braided covering. (if it isn't braided please excuse me - I'm a normally aspirated owner) I got a company to make up a new fuel return hose for my last year and they completely messed it up - fuel flowed through it but pressure at the rail went up to at least 10 bar.

It can't be that hard to get right; it is a hose that oil flows along and if oil comes out of the turbo into it at one end and gets back into the sump at the other end it surely must work!

Comment

Why not hack saw off the oil pick-up, that’ll stop all the leaks and smoking problem too
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

The only reason your oil is not draining (in my experience) is due to a blocked/partially blocked oil return or crankcase pressure. In terms of the latter you need to look at your entire pcv system/catch can etc. Some people install a check valve on the oil drain to combat this. Garretts utilise restrictors on their bb and journal turbos. I'm not sure about kkk/bw but a quick look on their website will tell you. Don't guess. Listen to all the other people who have chimed in. They are the brains trust man!

Comment

Also, and I only ask this as I have seen it done, is the orientation correct on your turbo? Oil feed around 12oclock?

Comment

Originally posted by audi660 View Post
                I put a restriction of 1.5mm at the turbo oil inlet and a 3.8mm on the other side of the hose that goes onto the block.
                That has stopped the oil leak, but the oil is still not draining fast enough coz now the oil is going past the seals and the car is smoking.
                Should I make the 3.8mm hole smaller to restrict the oil pressure a little more?
                You seriously added an restrictor in the drain?
                1360kg/600Whp Avant 0-200km/h 9sec

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post

Why not hack saw off the oil pick-up, that’ll stop all the leaks and smoking problem too
                  Best option
                  91 Modded 3B
                  14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Originally posted by audi660
                    I put a restriction of 1.5mm at the turbo oil inlet and a 3.8mm on the other side of the hose that goes onto the block.
                    That has stopped the oil leak, but the oil is still not draining fast enough coz now the oil is going past the seals and the car is smoking.
                    Should I make the 3.8mm hole smaller to restrict the oil pressure a little more?
                    You’re completely bonkers

Or a troll

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post

You’re completely bonkers

Or a troll
                      I think you've diagnosed the problem.

Comment

It's smoking more because you have backup up the draining oil into the turbo.

I'm no expert on turbos, but that has always been the last thing I would expect to see -a restrictor in the drain, that had always been as free-flowing as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by audi660
                          Yeah, go on, why not. Nothing to lose!

Last edited by adam g; 15 November 2017, 23:38.

Comment

Brilliant

Comment

Good to see humour still alive on here!

96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                              96 URS6 plus speck estate
                              94 2.6 80 Avant
                              99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                                Would you purposely restrict oil flow to your big ends?

Cure the leak, do not fit a restrictor
                                Don't swallow a spider to catch a fly!
                                1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
                                2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
                                2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

Working...
                                X