Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think about this smoke on my AAN S4 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think about this smoke on my AAN S4 ?

Hi guys,

I have bought this car 2 years ago for parts, when i bought the car no problem with engine, no smoke. some days or weeks after some smoke coming. I do this video some days ago :

When i start the car cold :

2/3 mns after

I stop the car, waiting about 20/30 mns then sart the car again

i cant see any water consumption. Oil level seem to be the same ...

It could be gas injector ?
    No problem on VAgcom

Thanks for your 2 cents
    Tof
    sigpic

Had something similar. Turned out to be the damn PCV system. Check it, see if you can find anything.

Also, you sir have a rattling tappet.

Comment

thanks for your response,

PCV system really ? interesting i'll look about this ;-)

yes i know for hydraulic lifters, it's when i have not started the car for months ;-)
      sigpic

Comment

The pcv system is often mislooked on cars. But in fact one of the most important things. But I'd check the internals. You have a proper knocking sound from the engine. Might be the hydraulic lifters. Does the turbo bearings have a slack in them?

Comment

yep my pcv was blocked solid. made oil leak from all sorts of places.

Comment

On one of them videos it looks blue-like burning oil but on the other ,where the lifter noise is gone it looks more like water condensation in exhaust system.I would change oil ,give it a good run and then see again.

Comment

Video 1 = water vapour not oil
              Video 2 = oil vapour for sure, tappet or something ticking big time
              Video 3 = Things have settled down, just water vapour

When you check the coolant reservoir with the cap off, I don't see any bubbling so head gasket is probably good.

The oil vapour could be many things, including valve stem seals, PCV system clogged and then letting loose, etc.

Have a look at this:

AAN/ABY/ADU Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) System with revised diagram, PNs and Links

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/22506.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
              94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Could also be a leaking turbo. Mine did smoke like that when my turbo was leaking to the hot side. Didn't smoke directly after startup, it started when turbo heated up, and was gone soon when every place was hot. I think the turbo leaked and soaked the turbine housing with oil when it was cooling down after turning off the engine.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Found a pic of my UrS when my Holset was failing. This was after some track day driving, had been standing for some time and this was soon after starting the engine.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                  Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                  BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                  BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Wow guys thanks for all this tips to do ;-)

i have done some pictures sunday (before i saw all your responses)

i check the turbo, from this side everything looks ok isn't it, no excessive play in the shaft

i'll check later all the PCV system this WE if the weather can let me do this (i have just looking the T hose to see if it's craked or ot, it seems ok)
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 3 photos.
                    sigpic

Comment

Defo check the PCV system, pipes oily and dirty. Also it looks like you have a cracked compressor housing (pic3), at least it looks like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Macchris View Post
                        Wow guys thanks for all this tips to do
                        Whatever else is going on, you have some kind of oil leak and its gagging for a fire. No way in hell is oil on a turbo housing normal. Should be completely dry. Check your turbo oil lines

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

not yet the weather allow me the possibility to look after this,
                          thanks URs4boy, i'll clean the turbo housing to see if oil come again, what i have seen until now is a leaking head cylinder cover
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X