No announcement yet.

Volvo K24 7400 Rebuild question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much space do you have from the compressor housing to the bonnet stantion beside the headlight? It's like 53mm with the Volvo turbo. A bit tight i must admit! I've got a Cobra head elbow but it's made from too rigid a material, i've seen other ones for sale made from silicone which might be more suitable for this purpose. I'd prefer to use the ABY airbox over a cone, interested to see your set up, any pics?

Comment

The silicon is from 034 IIRC. I extended it upwards with ali tube to reach the MAF because the airbox sits high, touching the insulation of the bonnet.
      I massaged the stanchion to clear the silicone which is set up like the 3B with the DV entering opposite the turbo inlet.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

We cut the foot off the airbox and made a bracket

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Is the silicone hose just a normal 90 Deg bend coming off the compressor housing? As the Volvo turbo sits so close to the bonnet stantion that a 90 Deg normal hose is no good, i think it has to be a Cobra head of some variety due to the tight radius needed. Also the Compressor cover needs a 2.75" hose to fit it, it's a chunky flippin thing!!

Comment

Let’s see if this works

https://youtu.be/BlUCvPxJolY

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Cheers for that, looks like a nice neat install, unfortunately there is nowhere near that amount of space with the Volvo fitted, it's going to be tricky to get it plumbed in properly to the airbox. I may have to do something with the bonnet catch upright to liberate some extra mm. All good stuff though. Offshore at the moment so unable to tinker but i'll be straight into it when i return.

Comment

Do you have the RS2 EM or similar? Cos that moves the turbo outboard a bit so the pipe is not aimed straight at the upright, I did tweak the upright a little bit but not much. I ditched all the headlight cowling too.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Yeh got the RS2 exh manifold.

These are the two cobra heads to choose from, which are made of silicone and not the really stiff rubber like i've currently got. My next decision to make is which one of these to go for to fit the 2.75" Compressor inlet flange

1. If i go for the 3" one, even if i trim it, it will be touching the bonnet catch upright slightly, not good with engine movement etc but better for flow. I'm sure the 3" cobra hose will squeeze down to fit the 2.75" compressor flange.

http://www.do88.co.uk/product_info.p...d94490a519d83e

2. If i go for the 2.5" one, with trimming it will fit in the space available "just", but, i would need to stretch the 2.5" hose over the compressor 2.75" flange, doable i guess if i warm it up in hot water etc first. However, being 2.5" the flow will be less than the 3", perhaps causing a restriction. These cobra head already flow less than a true 90 deg elbow so just not sure what route to take.

http://www.do88.co.uk/product_info.p...d94490a519d83e

What you reckon, 2.5" or 3" if i can make it work?

Cheers

Comment

If the silicone is good reinforced stuff it will be hard to stretch from 2.5 to 2.75...

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Yeh it could end up being a bit of a struggle alright, hmm decisions decisions!!.....

Comment

Watching how you progress with this with huge interest. Don't give up, make it work as it's a special turbo by all accounts.
                        96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                        96 URS6 plus speck estate
                        94 2.6 80 Avant
                        99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Yeh for sure, if it wasn't for how close the compressor housing is to the bonnet catch upright, i don't think it would be too bad a job fitting this turbo. The turbo oil and coolant lines fit, just, and the compressor outlet Vband can be trimmed in order to slide a hose over it. I've not actually done this yet but i spent some time clocking things up and giving it a good dose of looking at. I'd have managed to progress the job further before going offshore had i not found the compressor wheel damage. So annoyed i never removed the compressor housing years back when i first bought it. Lesson learnt for future!!! But yeh, looking forward to seeing how this turbo performs, i think it will suit my driving style perfectly.

I bought a Noggy B5 S4 last year so that's another project on the go. I fitted a really aggressive mapped ECU for the standard KO3's and must admit i love the power delivery. So much low down grunt, just the way l like it. The plan is to go K04's when the K03's finally give in, probably not too far away with 1.4-1.5 bar going through them, hehe. Boy and their toys eh!!

Comment

Me too, i think it will be perfect for my driving style plus i don't want to increase mpgs much if at all if that's possible? Liking the sound of the B5 S4 sounds like a lot of fun.
                            96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                            96 URS6 plus speck estate
                            94 2.6 80 Avant
                            99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Ok, been in talks with do88 asking them to do a test run of the 2.5" Cobra head over something with a diameter of 2.75". Unfortunately as Newsh suspected it won't stretch enough. That rules that out so may as well order the 3" version to see what can be done with it. This i suspect may only be a problem in an S2, S4/S6 will have more space in the engine bay so should be an easier conversion. I think my engine is as far back as it will go on the mountings too, however i'll need to double check this, every few mm will help!!

Comment

http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.p...2240&start=675
                                You will need to scroll down a bit.
                                Probably worth reading this thread as you will be having most of the same issues!

Comment

Working...
                                X