Help! - Coolant Leak somewhere under the Turbo or on engine block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! - Coolant Leak somewhere under the Turbo or on engine block

Help please: I am experiencing a slow loss of coolant which appears to be coming from the area under the turbo. It looks like it is running down the block under the exhaust manifold, but the source is impossible to see. It is then covering the oil filter below in coolant. I have tried to eyeball the source of it but it is impossible without tearing into the engine bay.

Can anyone offer a suggestion of what is going on before I start stripping parts off to try and find it? Could it be the coolant feed to the Turbo?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Steve
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Probably is the turbo water feed, the metal hose has a rubber end that plugs in above the oil filter, so probably leaking from there, or the gasket on the bottom of the turbo could have gone but it would normally drip from there rather than running down to the oil filter.

No 23 here: 034121497A
    141145250.png
    Last edited by Colesy; 23 April 2018, 14:36.

Comment

I agree, check the turbo water feed from the blood clots nipple. I have a good one here surplus to requirements if you find need one mate
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Thanks chaps, that sounds likely. Which way is best to go in? Top down or bottom up?
        The Perfectionist
        sigpic
        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

get her up on a ramp I'd say

Comment

Yep mine did it from 23 too, if you are lucky it wont need the ferrule on the pipe replacing, luckily i had a spare
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Thanks David. How invasive is this work? Should I try it on Saturday before Beaulieu on Sunday?
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Henkjan View Post
                get her up on a ramp I'd say
                That will be axle stands on my back then!
                The Perfectionist
                sigpic

Comment

Have a look from the top First, the feed is quite high up

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

If it is the turbo water feed, yes its basically right above the oil cooler thermostat housing, to the front of the engine mount leg/bracket.
                    There is a spring clip on the block end and a 17mm nut on the flare/nipple fitting to the turbo

Access is not to bad from underneath; you can't get to the turbo union from the top, but you should be able to peek in to have a look.
                    If you do need to change it, its not too bad. You should have it done in a couple hours, allowing for tea & barring any complications
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

If you still can't trace the leak buy some UV dye and a UV fluro' lamp on Amazon, stick the dye in the coolant reservoir and go for a 10mile drive, once back in the garage (assuming the car has gotten hot), get the lamp out and all will be revealed!

Comment

Originally posted by treebirch View Post
                        If you still can't trace the leak buy some UV dye and a UV fluro' lamp on Amazon, stick the dye in the coolant reservoir and go for a 10mile drive, once back in the garage (assuming the car has gotten hot), get the lamp out and all will be revealed!
                        Thanks
                        The Perfectionist
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
                          Help please: I am experiencing a slow loss of coolant which appears to be coming from the area under the turbo. It looks like it is running down the block under the exhaust manifold, but the source is impossible to see.....Any suggestions welcome.
                          Sorry, I missed your initial post. Most likely the turbo coolant "union" at the block:

REFERENCE: http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/72682.phtml (Turbo Coolant and Oil Feed and Return Lines)

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                          94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
                            Help please: I am experiencing a slow loss of coolant which appears to be coming from the area under the turbo. It looks like it is running down the block under the exhaust manifold, but the source is impossible to see. It is then covering the oil filter below in coolant. I have tried to eyeball the source of it but it is impossible without tearing into the engine bay.

Can anyone offer a suggestion of what is going on before I start stripping parts off to try and find it? Could it be the coolant feed to the Turbo?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Steve
                            Hi Steve did you find the leak? My friends has decided to do same thing leak under the turbo some where,soon as he’s took it back home lol I even checked it over before he left he only noticed a little puddle as he back into his garage and realised.

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post

Sorry, I missed your initial post. Most likely the turbo coolant "union" at the block:

REFERENCE: http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/72682.phtml (Turbo Coolant and Oil Feed and Return Lines)
                              Thanks, that is exactly what I am looking for.
                              The Perfectionist
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X