No announcement yet.

Rod bearing damage Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was the car mapped with headphones or what? Cyl3 is always more prone to know due to heat. Did the engine rev too much or anything like that?

Comment

The crank damaged so badly it needs to be replaced? Surely it can be reground? You can also often straighten a slight bend if necessary.
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Other side of the shells and also the other bearings would be helpful to see.
        But con rod bearing damage is a clearance issue (after a rebuilt for example) or lack of lubrication (dirt is also no lubrication)...
        Trackday could cause a pressure drop and pre damage the bearing and some times later the bearing fails.

Comment

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
          Was the car mapped with headphones or what? Cyl3 is always more prone to know due to heat. Did the engine rev too much or anything like that?

I am not sure how the car was mapped but the tuner has a good reputation and as I work away they had the car for 3 months.
          The idea was for them to weld sunroof closed, fit bars for bucket seats and do some other small jobs then tune.
          They never got any of the work done and encountered problems with getting the car to start which turned out to be cam sensor.
          When they finally got it started and tuned the power level with the EFR turbo it was disappointing and they promised me they'd put it back on the rollers when I returned home.
          On the day I went to see the car back on the rollers the oil pressure switch started leaking oil when the car was started.
          I didint think much of it at the time but if the pressure switch had failed during tuning at high RPM it maybe it could have been the issue?
          Fast forward almost a year and I finally got all the jobs/welding done and car MOT'd.
          The car drove to and from the test centre and a few short drives the first longer drive out I had the failure.
          Never over revved the engine and was changing up early.

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
          The crank damaged so badly it needs to be replaced? Surely it can be reground? You can also often straighten a slight bend if necessary.
          Yes my friend suggested this and they successfully managed to straighten the crank it was out by 20thou.
          I am going to pick up the assembled block this week.

Originally posted by Acki View Post
          Other side of the shells and also the other bearings would be helpful to see.
          But con rod bearing damage is a clearance issue (after a rebuilt for example) or lack of lubrication (dirt is also no lubrication)...
          Trackday could cause a pressure drop and pre damage the bearing and some times later the bearing fails.
          Will have chat with engine builder this week and have a look at bearings.
          Still have to get the cylinder head cleaned up and have a closer look for knock damage.

Thanks for all your suggestions

Comment

It could be oil deprivation then at some point. Difficult to say. But as I mentioned I'll have a look at the map for you if you like

Comment

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
              It could be oil deprivation then at some point. Difficult to say. But as I mentioned I'll have a look at the map for you if you like
              Thank you Vas for taking a look at the Vems map cant tell if it was the root cause of the failure but certainly was not the best setup.
              Have picked up the repaired block with straightened crank, replacement rods, reground crank and skimmed block.
              Attached picture of the old shells.

rods.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X