What’s this noise ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
    "Oil pressure is good, can’t hear it when driving either" that's good then.

I've given up trying to get my distributor to be quiet, I've shimmed it so minimal play, fitted brass gear which helped a bit and neither stopped it completely. Does it more around 1700-2000rpm on the run down from revs. I guess wear on the cam gear may contribute but that's not easily sorted...
    Try replacing the cam chain , that cured my dizzy rattle
    1991 S2 3B Coupe, KW v1, solid sub frames, poly bushed, chipped, about 260 ish

Comment

Cam chain and hydraulic lifters have been replaced, she sounds lovely :-)

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

Comment

excellent !
          Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
          S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
          '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Yeah well pleased

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

This is good to hear

Comment

Weirdly missed most off the end of that post. I was going to say; I've just received a crank shaft front oil seal and the next job is to fit it with the pump in situ. I ordered inlet and rocker cover gaskets as well as an INA cam chain after reading your post. I hope I get the sort of results you report as well as an oil tight engine at long last!

Comment

A couple of the lifters were not working properly, easily compressed with fingers.
                  Can’t complain, them and the camchain have done 260,000 miles, mostly at higher than stock power levels!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

I can wipe my brow now John, great news she's sorted now.
                    96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                    96 URS6 plus speck estate
                    94 2.6 80 Avant
                    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

"Oil pressure is good, can’t hear it when driving either" that's good then.

I've given up trying to get my distributor to be quiet, I've shimmed it so minimal play, fitted brass gear which helped a bit and neither stopped it completely. Does it more around 1700-2000rpm on the run down from revs. I guess wear on the cam gear may contribute but that's not easily sorted...
                      Steve, how did you remove the dizzy gear?
                      I realise I have to knock the pin out but does it only go one way? (I can see 3 tiny marks on one end of the pin) What tools did you use and how did you support it?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

I've done the job twice now. The first time was to replace a failing plastic gear so I just smashed that off. The second was a steel gear and had to knock the pin out. If you've seen the 3 marks on one end you've probably spotted that end is peened over... From memory, I think I might have carefully ground those off and bashed the pin through from that end. The steel gear is fairly hard wearing so doesn't need such careful support as the brass one but what you could do is drill a hole near the end of some wood (15-20mm,thick), saw through the middle of the hole to cut the end off and you've got a 'cradle' to sit the side of the gear in while you hit the pin hard enough to get it moving. An off cut of oak would be perfect

I've had stainless steel roll pins holding my distributor gear in place ever since so you dont need to worry too much about preserving the old pin. Check fit to satisfy yourself but 4mm roll pin needs a good tap to go in.

Comment

I've done the job twice now. The first time was to replace a failing plastic gear so I just smashed that off. The second was a steel gear and had to knock the pin out. If you've seen the 3 marks on one end you've probably spotted that end is peened over... From memory, I think I might have carefully ground those off and bashed the pin through from that end. The steel gear is fairly hard wearing so doesn't need such careful support as the brass one but what you could do is drill a hole near the end of some wood (15-20mm,thick), saw through the middle of the hole to cut the end off and you've got a 'cradle' to sit the side of the gear in while you hit the pin hard enough to get it moving. An off cut of oak would be perfect

I've had stainless steel roll pins holding my distributor gear in place ever since so you dont need to worry too much about preserving the old pin. Check fit to satisfy yourself but 4mm roll pin needs a good tap to go in.
                          Cool thanks bud, sounds ok, I’ve got roll pins at work too

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

All done, stripped, cleaned, shimmed up and back in, I swear the car runs smoother !

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Good stuff! ​​​​​​ I must get round to doing my cam chain... I have had it in the garage since summer and now it is winter

Comment

Well it now has a shimmed dizzy, new cam chain and new lifters and it still has a strange rattle I give up.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X