Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front crankshaft oil seal removal in-situ

Hello all.

At my last MOT the tester commented on an oil leak coming from the front of the engine and said "its probably not bad enough to fail this year but you ought to look at it".

It is hard to say where the leak is coming from without doing some disassembly so I figured to take it all apart and have a look, I have new seal and gasket ready. Knowing the gasket between pump and block cannot be changed without dropping the sump, I'm sort of hoping it is the crank seal...

I see different sorts of oil seal removal tools are available and all of them seem to work so I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience of how they got on with the job with pump in situ. If it is the gasket then the pump comes off anyway and I can push the seal out from behind but just in case I get lucky; I'm hoping to do the job with minimal disruption.

types of tool I've seen.

Pick type pullers that hook in behind seal and pull.
    Screw in type pullers which i think thread into the edge of the metal outer housing then you pull
    or the ghetto way of drilling holes and screwing self tappers into the metal body of seal then pull tool. Not sure i fancy this because of the potential for disaster but it is pretty cheap (assuming nothing goes wrong!)
    A twin hook bearing puller type tool which gets in behind the seal lip and a centre bolts acts against end of crank to draw seal out.

Thanks all.

I did it the ghetto way two years ago and it has been fine ever since. Just be careful not to scratch the crankshaft by seal while drilling. However I understand that there is a risk of getting metal chips into the oil. I don't know the prices of seal pullers but in the end they are the proper tool for the job and will get the job done the way it is meant to be

Comment

I've used the hook type with varying degrees of success. You're kind of committed to changing it anyway once you start getting destructive
      Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Thanks both. I will have a look at the simpler options to start with then, they seem capable of doing the job. I've seen tools specific for other brands of car that cost in the region of £100. That is nuts

Comment

The official tool is 3203. it's pricey and doesn't work that well
          Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X