MTM v Nothelle v Homefry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTM v Nothelle v Homefry

I’ve got three motronic ECUs and two 20vT cars and I’ve been playing fault diagnostics which became very, very interesting as I’ve not mixed and matched before.

I’ll try and keep this short but spec related.

two cars S2 ABY MTM ECU and spring.
    AAN S4 engined rallyrep with Homefry ECU

The S2 (MTM ECU) has been a bit lack lustre lately and I suspected MFTS, which was changed with absolutely no benefit. So I started suspecting N75 again as it’d failed once before in 2002. So I got hold of a Nothelle N300 ECU as a hot spare because the MTM ECU had shut down fault codes.
    I pugged in, and have run the Nothelle N300 ECU for about 3 months on the S2 and whilst not fixing the issue, certainly made it more drivable.

The rallyrep meanwhile was running fine on a forum Homefry ECU on an AAN loom.

First test was to take the Homefry ECU into the S2 replacing the Nothelle N300 ECU and, honestly, not a great deal of difference, (remember, this is also fault diagnostics).
    second test was MTM ECU in rallyrep and night and day different. Boost (WGFV) was very spiky, stepped delivery, almost jerky. Certainly worse than the original Homefry ECU.
    So, round 3.
    S2, MTM ECU with N75 and MFTS disconnected. Same as Homefry and Nothelle ECUs
    round 4
    leave MFTS disconnect but replace N75 and that ‘stepped’ surge of N75 returns.
    round 5
    Nothelle N300 into AAN rallyrep... I don.t know why I’ve not tried this before, or indeed even thought about it, but, it went mad, lightweight, low geared, with a big fat power delivery and a step up surge at 4000rpm... It went nuts, property night and day difference and totally unexpected. The rallyrep has never been described as a slow car, but with this ECU, a huge intercooler and low gearing, it is just mad.

The bottom line with the S2 is, I’m convinced, still not making ‘shine’ and is down on power top end, but N75 certainly appears to be working if maybe erratically and the refurbished and slightly hopped up turbo boosts from low down and hard. It just ‘to me’ feels like there’s something under performing.on the S2, with the Rallyrep, S3 and even Ur feeling ‘boosty’ and more ‘shove in the kidneys than the S2.

I guess there’s more tinkering to come. But I’m minded to leave he N300 ECU in its new home....
    Last edited by Ian Simmonds; 28 May 2019, 22:15.
    85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
    93 MTMS2 Avant

Nothelle used original S2 injectors?
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
      Nothelle used original S2 injectors?
      Oh don’t, please..! I’ve read weeks worth of stuff on this lately....

Are you ready....

The S2 has TFSI coil packs.... And wait for it....

The rallyrep has OEM S4 setup.
      93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
          If I’m reading this correctly, then the rallyrep on OEM injectors has responded to the N300 ECU map setup better than the TFSI coil pack arrangement on the S2
          93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Are your upgrades on the RallyRep complete?
            How did that all work out, especially with regard to the heat stacking?
            Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
            20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jogi730 View Post
              Are your upgrades on the RallyRep complete?
              How did that all work out, especially with regard to the heat stacking?
              Hi Chris, replied in t’other thread..
              93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

A dodgy or loose knock sensor can pull timing, and make the car feel slow.

Have you got a boost gauge on the S2?
                How much boost is it making compared to the RR?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X