Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knock sensor and airconditioner bearing noise causing a drop in performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knock sensor and airconditioner bearing noise causing a drop in performance?

I have started to notice a noise coming from the clutch bearing on the aircon pump. Very annoying.

Also noticed a drop in performance.

I put a few drops of oil in the area of the bearing and it is almost silent and the performance has improved.

Is it possible the bearing noise is being picked up by the knock sensor and pulling the timing?

Next job on my ever shorter list is the aircon clutch bearing replacement.

Plausible I would say. I have been chasing (false)knock for years now. Changed alternator, aircon and re-check my rebuilt engine internals but still getting random knock at random moments.

Try to drive the car with aircon belt off. And also without paspump belt if it makes any difference...
    S2 Avant SleeperWagon 570hv and 765nm on 2,2bar/E85

Comment

I was getting knock detection when my ISV was as tapping on the Wagner IM, it wasn’t in its rubber holder.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

I am not getting an alarm its just strange the performance changed after a bit of oil on the aircon bearing.

Will fix the S2 aircon bearing after my S4 B7 front crank oil seal, belt tensioner, idler pulley and belt have been replaced. Belt came of the other day and damaged the crank seal.

S2 being used every day

Comment

Originally posted by orsum View Post
          I am not getting an alarm its just strange the performance changed after a bit of oil on the aircon bearing.

Will fix the S2 aircon bearing after my S4 B7 front crank oil seal, belt tensioner, idler pulley and belt have been replaced. Belt came of the other day and damaged the crank seal.

S2 being used every day
          Any update? Did you fix it by sortIng out the Air con bearing? I might have similar going on.
          85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
          93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

I have not managed to do anything to the aircon bearing.

During my yearly medical they found cancer in my prostate. Lucky for me it was in the early stages.

After the operation to put radiation seeds around the prostate I could not do much. My first PSA results came back two weeks ago and my doctor is saying I am clear.

Basically it knocked me for six. All I need to do now is another 18 months of PSA test showing me clear and I will be very happy.

Almost back to normal.

I will post when I manage to get down to doing the bearing change.

Comment

Originally posted by orsum View Post
              I have not managed to do anything to the aircon bearing.

During my yearly medical they found cancer in my prostate. Lucky for me it was in the early stages.

After the operation to put radiation seeds around the prostate I could not do much. My first PSA results came back two weeks ago and my doctor is saying I am clear.

Basically it knocked me for six. All I need to do now is another 18 months of PSA test showing me clear and I will be very happy.

Almost back to normal.

I will post when I manage to get down to doing the bearing change.
              Bless, sorry to hear that. Good news that you’re on the mend slowly.

Like quite a few people it would seem, I’m chasing a lack of full boost and I’m now thinking knock sensor, all afternoon I’ve been researching it then found your post. My Air Con has been non-functioning for as long as I can remember but on start up the pump does about 30-seconds of clickity-clack before going quiet.

Good luck and hopefully you’ll be back to firing on all five as well as the car.
              85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
              93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Get well soon Orsum. We all wish you a full recovery

Ian, if you suspect the air con, try removing the belt to the compressor for a run?
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Working...
                X