Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 exhaust cam mystery

Hi all,

I've got a very strange RS2 cam timing problem.

On my RS2 I always felt it lacked some low down torque, so went to dig for the source.

The exhaust cam now appears to have the key-slot for the belt's sprocket machined one tooth wrong!

I had problems aligning the camshaft dots, since the sprocket-mark wouldnt line up 1/2 tooth left of the camcover V.

Started opening the cover on another RS2 so I could compare the 2, and setting the cams identically on both cars it came clear that the "problemcar" has the key machined slightly wrong...

Measured the hub to be sure and it's a correct 9.5mm RS2 cam, head/engine ADU, ... al seems legit, so must be a production fault on the cam I guess

Anyone ever experienced or heard this in 20vt-world??

Cam timing itself is now OK, but my hall-sensor timing will still be off because of the 1 tooth difference in the sprocket...

Picture is with cam-dots aligned, and turned half a tooth left to get the belt on as it should be...

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

I suspect someone didn't support the sprocket when the bolt was torqued up and the key has started to shear. Mine sheared and slipped further than that. I was very lucky!
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

How it's machined and how it should be (and is) on another RS2.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Ah, you have removed it to inspect and the key is good. Interesting. I would ring Audi and demand a new one!
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

1994 warranty would be a nice one

Comment

A manufacturing fault on their flagship car costing over £40k back then. I would say its worth a go.
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Worth asking, I know vw still honor front wings due to the foam on the back of the wings rusting the wings when they get wet.

Comment

Working...
              X