X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Clicking!

Hey folks!
    Ultimate Lurker here

Quick intro to car, s2 3b 320000 Km fully rebuild bottom end and head checked over! the head has been disassembled for months!

Now that it is all together again and started up it has a fantastic clicking noise to it suspect its the hydralic lifters?? heres a vid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSlV...ature=youtu.be

A few pics of the car

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

they might go quieter in time is normal for them to be loud at the beginning till they gonna be filled up with oil.

Comment

The noise should go when the engine is up to temp and run for a while. Mine makes this noise if it's been sat for a while but goes after some use
      1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Are you using running in oil? I did and my lifters didn't like it one bit. It wasn't in there for long.
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

There's a procedure listed in Bentleys for refilling the tappets which iirc is basically hold the RPM steady at 2000 for 2 mins. Did it once after my engine had been standing for a long time and to my surprise my noisy tappet disappeared at almost the 2 minute point.

Comment

Hopefully a mineral multigrade oil in the sump?

As above....raising the revs a bit will put less stress on the cam lobes, in doing so it should let the lifters sort themselves out.

Comment

Using Castrol edge 5-30.
              Have had it up in revs for a bit and warmed up 3 times with not a lot of luck..
              Should i use some kind of brake in oil ?

Comment

Yes!
                Cheap 15w/40 mineral oil for the 1st 500 miles at least. And 5/30 is a bit thin but will have been a good flush. Change oil and filter now to 15/40 mineral, then again in 500/600 miles to a fully synthetic. I use Titan race pro 5w/40, very good oil.
                The mineral oil allows the engine to bed in.
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

ow!
                  i will get my hands on that immediately!
                  Will this help my clicking lifter too ?

Comment

Originally posted by Erikg3rt View Post
                    ow!
                    i will get my hands on that immediately!
                    Will this help my clicking lifter too ?
                    Hopefully it will.
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Thanks for the help
                      i will return in this thread when and if i get it to stop clicking.

Comment

My valvetrain made a clacking noise that got louder as the engine warmed up. This was after reassembly following rebuild so I was convinced something went back together wrong. On the advice of a friend/mechanic i took the car out for a drive to get the oil flowing. Clacking went away.

Comment

What is the reason for using mineral oil ?
                          A engine to set it self or how its is namned , is for example for the rings to expand and set good aginst the cylinder wall. But how does mineral oil help with that ?

Comment

As I understand it, the mineral oil allows some wear and allows the rings to bed in. Everyone I know who rebuilds engines uses this method.
                            Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Yes Dave is right. Mineral oil allows the engine to bed in fast. As the new part fitted like piston rings, big end shell, main bearing ect need faster bed in. Piston rings will struggle to bed in on a synthetic oil making the motor smoke and burn oil. You should go mineral oil then partly synthetic then fully synthetic. We build bikes for drag racing, land speed racing and wheel bikes plus bike engine kit cars for hill clime and round round track cars. All the road bike get mineral oil mapped on the rolling road, so a hard bed in on the dyno. We don't have engines that burn oil. It dose sound odd to spend money on a rebuilt engine and put cheap oil in it. Its just 500 miles to make it happy. ..

Comment

Working...
                              X