X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss or lack of power - 1z TDI

Hello guys and galls,
    I drive a 93' B4 TDI Sedan, 1Z engine.
    It will be two months now after the car lost power, perticulary in the lower band (below 2k rpms), its like im towing smth all the time.
    I've tried running vag-com diagnostics, there are no fault codes, also no read-outs from the groups.
    I've changed the pressure-relief valve on the valve head cover, washed the intercooler and checked the pressure reg. valve (N75) (its within ohm range), also checked the EGR valve controls and the EGR itself. There are no cracks or leaks in the turbo piping. The thing I noticed was that before it lost power it usually ran boost around 1 and peak at 1.2(3), now it barelly goes to 0.95.
    Everything working thus far.
    I'm open to suggestions.

Fuel filter blocked or fuel pump dying?
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
      Fuel filter blocked or fuel pump dying?
      Well, the fuel filter is brand new, at approx. 5k, changed once the symptoms became noticeable.
      About the fuel pump, the car starts ok, no judders or stutters, no shaking, no excessive smoke (on the contrary), not much difference in fuel consumption also.
      Any way to test the said pump?

Comment

Originally posted by NiGh7 View Post

Well, the fuel filter is brand new, at approx. 5k, changed once the symptoms became noticeable.
        About the fuel pump, the car starts ok, no judders or stutters, no shaking, no excessive smoke (on the contrary), not much difference in fuel consumption also.
        Any way to test the said pump?
        You can do a flow test.
        My pump recently failed. Worked fine on low revs but low on power and then started to cut out intermittently. It also started to buzz.
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Maybe a bad injector?

Not sure how to check the diesel pump, I think there’s a sticky post on here somewhere though.

You can check the N75 works, connect a 12v battery across it it should click.
          Also check for boost leaks.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

Also
            Try it with the N75 unplugged, see what boost you get. On the S2 it would be 0.4Bar on a stock WG spring but not sure what spring the tdi uses.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
              Also
              Try it with the N75 unplugged, see what boost you get. On the S2 it would be 0.4Bar on a stock WG spring but not sure what spring the tdi uses.
              Its even worse with N75 unplugged.
              No boost leaks detected.

You can do a flow test.
              My pump recently failed. Worked fine on low revs but low on power and then started to cut out intermittently. It also started to buzz.
              Can you walk me through the flow test? I could not find it.

Comment

There was a post about doing one here. Not sure if it's the same on yours but basically disconnect the feed at the rail and by pass the pump relay and measure how much you get in a set period. You can also test pressure if you have a gauge.
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Not sure if it's the same on yours ........
                  Are you referring to your S2 Dave ??? 1Z is a diesel, no electric pump.

Comment

Originally posted by John. View Post

Are you referring to your S2 Dave ??? 1Z is a diesel, no electric pump.
                    My apologies. I thought there was a pump in the tank on that model as per some of the later diesels
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

So, no flow test, any other way to test the pump? or perhaps the MAF/MAP sensors?
                      Thing I noticed today, with MAP unplugged, the only difference is that there is no turbo whistle, its the same power /no MORE loss either/.

Comment

Originally posted by NiGh7 View Post
                        So, no flow test, any other way to test the pump? or perhaps the MAF/MAP sensors?
                        Thing I noticed today, with MAP unplugged, the only difference is that there is no turbo whistle, its the same power /no MORE loss either/.
                        Maybe its this?
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRMTEAKsScE
                        Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Check all the vac pipes behind engine abd firewall. Even the smallest of vac leaks will cause issues on 1Z.
                          Is there and air bubbles in clear fuel feed line. Vanes on pump sticking and causing poor flow/pressure is common..
                          Check the short boost hose between intercooler abd throttle body.. They split underneath.

Comment

I remember checking the air flow on a previous tdi, you're looking for 5v(I think) and earth on 2 of the wires.....and with engine running an output from the sensor which will be constant at idle and vary as the revs increase/decrease. There will likely be a wire for air temp as well?
                            Apologies if the above lacks detail, it wasn't yesterday!

Comment

Originally posted by John. View Post
                              I remember checking the air flow on a previous tdi, you're looking for 5v(I think) and earth on 2 of the wires.....and with engine running an output from the sensor which will be constant at idle and vary as the revs increase/decrease. There will likely be a wire for air temp as well?
                              Apologies if the above lacks detail, it wasn't yesterday!
                              Originally posted by Monkeymagic View Post
                              Check all the vac pipes behind engine abd firewall. Even the smallest of vac leaks will cause issues on 1Z.
                              Is there and air bubbles in clear fuel feed line. Vanes on pump sticking and causing poor flow/pressure is common..
                              Check the short boost hose between intercooler abd throttle body.. They split underneath.
                              All the vacuum lines are new, changed them the other day, no difference. The N75 was tested once again and its OK, the EGR valve is OK, the wiring to the MAF itself is OK (exact 5v on wires 3 and 4). Sadly I didnt test the MAF with the engine running, simply because i have nothing to test it with.
                              Open for ideas once again

The fuel have no bubbles in it, no restrictions.

P.S I think I can try and make a video , just to show you whats wrong.
                              Last edited by NiGh7; 3 October 2020, 09:22.

Comment

Working...
                              X