Audi s2 Aby running hot 95 degrees or so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris5044 View Post
    The degrees are ok now, it seems to have gone down to 90 degrees again and even below slightly on a drive at night yesterday!!

.......................False alarm guys!! went out today and its reading very hot, around 100 degrees!!
    I'd be happy with 90 degrees when moving, was 100 degrees also when moving or stationary/slow moving traffic. I'd be happy(ish) if the fan was on at 100 in traffic.

The big question is, can the temp gauge be relied upon ?!!

Do you have an infra-red temp gauge ( Infrared Thermometer, Digital IR Laser Thermometer Temperature Gun 688209908015 | eBay )
    The above could be used to determine gauge accuracy, and maybe if your rad has a blockage. Handy tool to have.

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
      Is the fan coming on?
      Hey yes i can hear a fan coming on yes

Comment

Originally posted by John. View Post

I'd be happy with 90 degrees when moving, was 100 degrees also when moving or stationary/slow moving traffic. I'd be happy(ish) if the fan was on at 100 in traffic.

The big question is, can the temp gauge be relied upon ?!!

Do you have an infra-red temp gauge ( Infrared Thermometer, Digital IR Laser Thermometer Temperature Gun 688209908015 | eBay )
        The above could be used to determine gauge accuracy, and maybe if your rad has a blockage. Handy tool to have.
        Oooh good thinking! I actually have something similar for covid testing... lol! Yes its slow moving , but after running it down motorway it seemed to stay around 100 degrees even over it seemed!!

Could be guage or blocked rad. Ill try to bleed it then check.. if it persists, ill flush system and check thermostat seating, as i recently fitted this.

Comment

Hey guys, so a new emergence. I am currently doing the coolant flush, as stated from the 7a coolant flush thread.

I decided to do the method Error404 posted, which was this:

"Oxalic acid is cheap and works really well. Drain coolant, fill with acid dilution, run for a half hour or so then drain - you will be amazed a the **** that comes out.
          Flush with clean water mixed with baking soda to neutralise the acid, then flush thoroughly with clean water and refill with coolant "

I have used 1kg of the acid... it is a powder.. im not sure if it mixed with the water too well, im prob paranoid..

I have noticed my fan does not come on anymore.. (coolant is everywhere) and on the electric sensor at bottom of rad.. is this the fan temp sensor???

What do you think is happening?

I have ran the car.. but its at 110 degrees. Its freaking me out, as he said run it for 30mins.. i stopped car after 15..

(I also tested thermostat and it opens it seems at boiling.. not near 87.... it was an aftermarket one from autodoc)

What are your thoughts guys?​​​​​​​

Comment

When you say coolant is everywhere, do you mean you have a leak or has it just been spilt?
            I would swap out your thermostat for a genuine Audi one. Don't think they are too expensive and I am watching a thread on the A2 Forum about how variable aftermarket ones are.
            If you have run it up to temp, flush it out and re fill with cold water. run it up to temp again, flush out again then fill with your pink G12 anti freeze mix after fitting your new thermo. You know how to bleed, holding the reservoir up high?
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Ive realised what ive done. The acid came in solid powder form... its blocked the coolant system as its not dissolved into the water so well... so the fan is at the temp sensor at bottom.. but no water is getting there... so fan is not coming on.. the engine is running without coolant as its blocked by this crappy acid which hasnt dissolved. I now have to unblock this crap and get it to go round engine.. its getting dark.. :/ **** sticks...

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                When you say coolant is everywhere, do you mean you have a leak or has it just been spilt?
                I would swap out your thermostat for a genuine Audi one. Don't think they are too expensive and I am watching a thread on the A2 Forum about how variable aftermarket ones are.
                If you have run it up to temp, flush it out and re fill with cold water. run it up to temp again, flush out again then fill with your pink G12 anti freeze mix after fitting your new thermo. You know how to bleed, holding the reservoir up high?
                Huge thx buddy! I dunno about holding reservoir high.. you can bleed it from the 2 bleed points x ?

Comment

Remove the three screws holding the coolant bottle in and lift it up as high as you can, at an angle so the water stays in. Remove the cap and squeeze the bottom hose and you should see air come up and fluid level drop. Do this while the engine is ticking over after warmed up. I never bother with the bleed screws. I find them pretty useless. Don't forget to have the heater control in the car on full hot so that it's open and can circulate. The higher you can get the bottle, the less chance you will have an air lock.
                  Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                    Remove the three screws holding the coolant bottle in and lift it up as high as you can, at an angle so the water stays in. Remove the cap and squeeze the bottom hose and you should see air come up and fluid level drop. Do this while the engine is ticking over after warmed up. I never bother with the bleed screws. I find them pretty useless. Don't forget to have the heater control in the car on full hot so that it's open and can circulate. The higher you can get the bottle, the less chance you will have an air lock.
                    This info is amazing! Wow! Thank you so much! I gotta somehow unblock the hose from the header tank going to the bottom of the radiator. Atm its blocked with the acid crystals. Ill try to take off the hose amd unblock.. what a palava!!! ... huge thx Mr Dave, you ve been an absolute legend!

Comment

This info is amazing! Wow! Thank you so much! I gotta somehow unblock the hose from the header tank going to the bottom of the radiator. Atm its blocked with the acid crystals. Ill try to take off the hose amd unblock.. what a palava!!! ... huge thx Mr Dave, you ve been an absolute legend!
                      Try pouring some hot water from kettle down it via the coolant bottle. They should dissolve quickly in hot water (not boiling).
                      Nothelle S2 Avant
                      Black Ur project
                      Ocianic Ur project gone
                      S2 Coupe project gone
                      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

I have unblocked it, took pipe off and cleared it out in sink.. i think the advice given was terrible. Do not put oxalic acid in coolant system.. the crystals block it!! Unless you get it in liquid form?? Im deffo not putting this crap into this system. Im a bit pissed as its dark, im outside ficing this because of advice given.. it could fall down to me if tgeres a liquid version.. then so be it.

Comment

Dissolve it in water first you dingo
                          1kg is a **** ton. You need about a cup full per 5L

If you read the “terrible advice” again you will see it says the words “fill with acid dilution”.
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I have unblocked it, took pipe off and cleared it out in sink.. i think the advice given was terrible. Do not put oxalic acid in coolant system.. the crystals block it!! Unless you get it in liquid form?? Im deffo not putting this crap into this system. Im a bit pissed as its dark, im outside ficing this because of advice given.. it could fall down to me if tgeres a liquid version.. then so be it.
                            The advice given wasn't terrible, you just didn't follow it correctly.

The key is in your original quote, "Drain coolant, fill with acid dilution". You shouldn't be adding any crystals to the system, you should be adding a pre-diluted solution.
                            sigpic
                            1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                            1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                            1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Could be worse, you could have droped a bag of sand in the intake to polish the intake and the exaust!

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                                Dissolve it in water first you dingo
                                1kg is a **** ton. You need about a cup full per 5L

If you read the “terrible advice” again you will see it says the words “fill with acid dilution”.

Yep i missed the cup part... but i chucked water into the acid and shook it like mad... it seemed dilluted.. so i added.. but turned into a mush, that then compacted... im still here in the dark at 2300. Meh... bicarbonate now in.. gna run it.. then coolant in .. n im gone!! ...

I do have adhd , so sometimes make mistakes... lessons learnt...

I have acid hands and have seen what a hydrostatic lock does to the coolant system.....

Comment

Working...
                                X