Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head Removal and rebuild advice thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Removal and rebuild advice thread...

Afternoon all, I am about to "pull" the head off my S2 and would like to start a thread in which I can ask questions and you knowledgable folk can point me in the right direction!

My aim over the next week or so, is to get the cams out of the head and remove it before taking it in for skimming, now valve guides and valve stem seals at https://fiennesperformance.co.uk/ formally Rob Walker Engineering.

Current status:

Turbo is off and at Turbo Dynamics for a rebuild
    IM is off
    Water Manifold is off

I am about to remove the slam panel, remove the Aux rad and then set the Engine to TDC.

At that point, I intent to undo all the Cam caps to remove the cams (I think this will be easier in situ as I don't have a bench to work on )
    • Do I need to take the cam caps off in any order and I assume I need to mark them / keep ordered so that they all go back in the correct locations?
    • Can I just leave the cam sprocket on the ex cam?
    • When undoing the cylinder head bolts is there a loosening sequence or detorquing process?
    • Should I renew the Cam Chain? On examinaion, I can't "feel" any play at all and it feels really nice and taught. (Car is on 190,000)
    Any think you think I may have missed or should know. What else can be done while I am in there?

Thanks,

Steve

The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

You need to do some homework!
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

This is from the Haynes manual for the Audi 80. It covers the 20v engine which is very similar.
        I suggest you buy a second hand manual.
        A good torque wrench is also essential.
        Take pics of everything in detail at every stage so you have something to reference back to.
        The last one I did, I used a large rectangular box and drew all the parts and numbers on it so I could lay things out in order.

Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Yes, change the chain for sure.
          Unless yours is high mileage, I wouldn’t change the valve guides unless they are worn. Use good quality valve stem seals and gasket set.

Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

I Have that Haynes Manual!! I had not even thought to look in it for the S2 engine!

Thanks!

The Perfectionist
            sigpic
            Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Before removing the head, undo the crank bolt since you'll be fitting a new belt. The cam caps are specific to the head. Do not mix them up. Workshop manuals are available from my site if you need them. Undo the head bolts in reverse order to the tightening sequence.
              Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Mike... ​​​​​​
                The Perfectionist
                sigpic

Comment

I bought a plastic box to keep everything sorted may help if your struggling for space 4ED37E27-52C9-4F60-9ADA-8030051D9172.png

Comment

That's not struggling for space!

This is: IMG_20210427_142933 med.jpgGood advice re: boxes though!
                    The Perfectionist
                    sigpic

Comment

Hey, at least you have a space to put the car in to work on....

Comment

True!
                        The Perfectionist
                        sigpic

Comment

Can someone confirm, do I need to bag and number each hydraulic bucket tappet for each valve? It seems to suggest so in the Workshop manual? Ta
                          The Perfectionist
                          sigpic

Comment

I would, I'd be wanting to put all the valvetrain bits back where they were prior to removal.

Comment

Agreed, no brainer really.

Comment

Working...
                              X