Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi S2 avant need help.

Hi,

I need help diagnosing and fixing 2 problems that are probably related.....or not!

1st problem - It first begun with an ignition intermitent problem that become fixed in cylinder nº5, after changing plugs and new beru ignition coils I found out that the 5th channel on the POS was kapput, so i changed the 5th for the 6th channel and the ignition fixed problem was solved but still had an intermitent ignition issue, I then bought 2 new Hitachi (bosch weren´t available) POS and changed those thinking that one of the other channels was in the way out, but I still got the same intermitent ignition issue. Worth noting that when changing the POS I´ve noticed that 2 of the plugs from the row that is atatched to the POS support had torn rubber insulation boots and both had the black wire with broken insulation near the plug and I wraped them with insulation tape. Maybe the other ones also have broken insulation wires but I didn´t check as the boots were ok, can there be an eletric arc between the wire and another wire insert in the plug that is causing this?

2nd problem - During the above another problem developed, the car had dificult star when warm, it started first turn of the starter when cold and hot but took like 3 to 4 seconds of starter when warm and then it didn´t start on all 5 cyl. at once it took about one second to normalise on all 5, I mean that the first start of the day was normal and if I turned the engine off when hot it would restart normally for the first 1 to 2 hours after turning off (it was still hot) but if it was more time of rest than that it had the warm problem and needed 3 or 4 seconds of starter to get going instead of the normal 1 second, I thought this had to do with the 1st problem and was expecting to solve both with the POS change, but now I still have the 1st and the 2nd evolved to happening on cold start also, so now it´s only starting normally when hot and it´s has sluggish start when cold or warm. The fuel pump is fairly new bosch one as the old developed an issue with the anti-return valve that gave me problems with warm and cold start because o loss of fuel pressure on the system and it would be my first suspect if it wasn´t for the cold start being normal when the problem begun.

My next move will be to remove the plugs near the POSs and check for wires with broken insulation, it will be a s``ty job as the space is so tight and the cables that go into the plugs aren´t very long specially the plugs that are "fixed" to the POS support plate, but if anyone as any suggestions I´ll appreciate them.

p.s. - before changing the POS I got a cyl.2 ignition problem code and I thought it was the channel on the POS for that cyl. that was on its way out and causing both peoblems, didn´t had the chace to pull the codes again after changing the POS (I don´t have a code reader) but the syptomes are the same as before or got worst.

Thank you for reading.

Pedro
    Last edited by psiconauta911; 27 July 2021, 11:44.

For the second problem you should check for leaking injectors. Take injectors together with fuel rail out of manifold, start fuel pump and see if any of injectors is leaking fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by tonci View Post
      For the second problem you should check for leaking injectors. Take injectors together with fuel rail out of manifold, start fuel pump and see if any of injectors is leaking fuel.
      Thank you for the reply, I´ll look into it, is there anything I should change or take care during the procedure? (I know I shouldn´t be smoking).

Do you mean the leaking is getting worst and affecting cold start, before when cold start was still normal the fuel that leaked had time to evaporate?

Comment

Nothing special to take care. If everithing is OK there will be no fuel, otherwise it will be couple of drops. Maybe one of injectors is getting so bad that it ower flows its cylinder during cold start.

Comment

Nothing special to take care. If everithing is OK there will be no fuel, otherwise it will be couple of drops. Maybe one of injectors is getting so bad that it ower flows its cylinder during cold start.
          Are here any seals or o-rings that I should buy in advance that need to be changed?

Comment

They are probably 20 years old so it is not a bad idea to replace them.

Comment

I mean o-rings. No seals to replace.

Comment

I mean o-rings. No seals to replace.
                So I´ll need 10x of this one :

Comment

Yes you need 10
                  I think Alex (Error404) may have a source for a Viton version of the O ring.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

So, I already have the 10 O-rings but didn´t take the injectors out as It will take 2 to 3 days to have them clean/repaired and the S2 is my daily, so I´m thinking about buying a spare set of injectors and have them repaired if needed and than replace mine and keep the original as spares.

Does anyone have a spare set of ABY injectores that would like to sell them to me?

Comment

Hi,

Back again with some updates, the 1st problem is already solved and it was due to a broken wire in one of the coils because it was smashed between the the head and the coil cover.

As for the 2nd problem it isn´t solved yet, I´ve bought 5 refurbished injectors from a member here and it took 2 1/2 months to travel from GB to my house mainly due to the burecrats over here.
                      I´ve changed them and it is still the same or worst, what struck me was that the car was cold and when I removed the injectors there wasn´t any pressure in the fuel rail!?!
                      My next move is to change the fuel pump, a few years back the original FPump died and in a hurry I bought a MetDoria replacement that only lasted 3 or 4 years because the anti-return valve went kaput and it didn´t hold pressure on the fuel lines after turning the engine off making restarting difficult, so I replaced for the bosch correct replacement 4 years ago and I guess the anti-return valve is on it´s way out again, if true the bosch one is no better than the other lesser brands so now I´ve ordered the cheapest replacement I could find to try it and see if it´s the Fpump or not.
                      My S2 is o LPG so I just need the Fpump to start it, the rest of the time it´s only pressurizing the fuel lines and I keep the fuel tank with more than 1/4 of fuel to keep the Fpump cool and preserve it.

Any opinions are welcome.

Comment

My Bosch fuel pump lasted less than 2000 miles. I suspect there are lots of fakes in circulation.
                        Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

I don´t think mine was a fake but I´m not sure it wasn´t lets see how a 12€ pump will cope!

Comment

Update..

I took the Bosh fuel pump out and put in the replacement I bought and nothing changed so I guess the bosch pump is ok. And now what can I do next?

The injectors didn´t solve the problem neither did the fuel pump where should I look next?

Any Ideas?

Why does my car starts normally when hot or completly cold but takes like 3 to 4 seconds of starter to start when warm?

Comment

Relay?
                              filter?
                              photobucket SUCKS
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X