Audi s2 aux radiator.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi s2 aux radiator.

Hello, since I have an AAN inlet manifold I have manufactured a lower radiator to measure in my city, I would like to know if someone has tried to put the auxiliary radiator in series instead of in parallel, since in this way the water always I would go through it and refrigerate it better. Being the thermostat, it should reach the operating temperature in the same way but it would cool much better once on the track or circuit. Thanks.
    By the way I attach a photograph of my configuration. I have a 10 "mishimoto fan on the rear / top and an 8" front / bottom fan on the radiator for better cooling.
    image_82726.jpg

IMG_0462.JPG

CHEERS
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Waje; 2 October 2021, 18:17.

proper ducting and a decent fan is more important.
    sigpic

Comment

Connecting main and aux rads in series is a bad idea. You’re making the circuit longer and the Aux rad has smaller pipes therefore the flow will be less. The aux rad effectively making a bottle neck in the system.
      With the Aux rad in parallel with the main rad the total flow will be greater and coolant will be circulated naturally between the two rads if one is cooler than the other.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

As the guy said above me. Yes.
        https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...-3b-1991-coupe

Comment

Originally posted by varia View Post
          proper ducting and a decent fan is more important.
          Regarding the issue of the duct and the fan, in how much fan I think it is enough, since I have also fed it with direct positive battery to have a higher voltage and the idea is to channel the air well and remove the fog lamps by it. reason.

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
            Connecting main and aux rads in series is a bad idea. You’re making the circuit longer and the Aux rad has smaller pipes therefore the flow will be less. The aux rad effectively making a bottle neck in the system.
            With the Aux rad in parallel with the main rad the total flow will be greater and coolant will be circulated naturally between the two rads if one is cooler than the other.
            I understood the issue of flow but, what if a radiator was put in place that would not spoil the flow ?? that is, with antrada / outlet intakes of the same diameter as the main radiator, would it be a good idea?

Comment

My S2 used to suffer from heating issues, the best thing to resolve it was brand new main and brand new aux radiator (+ optional new hoses). Car has never overheated or had problems since.

Factory fan also untouched.
              1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Originally posted by Waje View Post

I understood the issue of flow but, what if a radiator was put in place that would not spoil the flow ?? that is, with antrada / outlet intakes of the same diameter as the main radiator, would it be a good idea?
                Same story
                Pipes in series = less flow
                Pipes in parallel = more flow

Your rad looks good, shorter but thicker?
                If the car is running hot.. is your water pump ok, there are some bad water pumps with plastic impellers that come loose.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Regarding the issue of the duct and the fan, in how much fan I think it is enough, since I have also fed it with direct positive battery to have a higher voltage and the idea is to channel the air well and remove the fog lamps by it. reason.
                  that fan looks like a joke (no offence). 1300-1500 cfm maybe?
                  RS2 fan moves 8000 cfm !!!
                  And the air like to move towards less resistance. So if you would have a super efficient core/radiator (not necessary extremely thick!), you would still need proper ducting.

In Los Angeles traffic (100-110F, stop and go), I never had overheating problem and I had no aux rad.
                  But I had a bit thicker radiator, RS2 fan, proper ducting.
                  sigpic

Comment

Same story
                    Pipes in series = less flow
                    Pipes in parallel = more flow

Your rad looks good, shorter but thicker?
                    If the car is running hot.. is your water pump ok, there are some bad water pumps with plastic impellers that come loose.

The car does not heat up, I just want to improve it, if you put an auxiliary radiator with the same diameter of tubes as the original I don't know what problem there is, I'm talking about making a custom radiator because I have the option. I do not understand that there is less flow being the same diameter when the rest is the same, no matter how much it is put in parallel there will always be a "bottleneck" and there will be the same flow.
                    Well, the water pump as the seller told me is new and made of metal, I have not disassembled it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by varia View Post

that fan looks like a joke (no offence). 1300-1500 cfm maybe?
                      RS2 fan moves 8000 cfm !!!
                      And the air like to move towards less resistance. So if you would have a super efficient core/radiator (not necessary extremely thick!), you would still need proper ducting.

In Los Angeles traffic (100-110F, stop and go), I never had overheating problem and I had no aux rad.
                      But I had a bit thicker radiator, RS2 fan, proper ducting.

Regarding the RS2 fan, I don't know what CFM moves, but looking at SPAL fans for a long time that comes very detailed, being extra-thin fans due to the space, there is none that reaches 8000 CFM.

Comment

I have not said it, thanks to everyone for the answers, I just want to see options because, as I say, I do not have overheating problems in principle, although I still need to enter the circuit.

CHEERS

Comment

The car does not heat up, I just want to improve it, if you put an auxiliary radiator with the same diameter of tubes as the original I don't know what problem there is, I'm talking about making a custom radiator because I have the option. I do not understand that there is less flow being the same diameter when the rest is the same, no matter how much it is put in parallel there will always be a "bottleneck" and there will be the same flow.
                          Well, the water pump as the seller told me is new and made of metal, I have not disassembled it yet.
                          Try an electrical analogy

The battery voltage V is the pressure generated by the pump, the resistors R1,R2 are the radiators and the current I is the flow.
                          Even if the radiators are both identical and flow very well, compared to a single R, the total flow will always be double with them in parallel and half when they’re in series.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...ric/dcex3.html

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Try an electrical analogy

The battery voltage V is the pressure generated by the pump, the resistors R1,R2 are the radiators and the current I is the flow.
                            Even if the radiators are both identical and flow very well, compared to a single R, the total flow will always be double with them in parallel and half when they’re in series.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...ric/dcex3.html
                            But an electrical circuit works the same as a hydraulic one, seeing it that way if the truth makes sense. Well before doing anything I would like to try to channel the air well to the radiator, the problem I have is with what material to make them and that the tube that comes from the intercooler is in the middle, but channeling it will always win something. Do you think that with polypropylene it will hold the temperature? Thanks

CHEERS

Comment

Oh my how I hate when the fan is starting on my car, like a jetplane going off
                              https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...-3b-1991-coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X