Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.3 20v 7A overheating

Good evening,

I have an issue and I would like to know if someone can help me to solve.

The case is that when the car is running and taking temperature, fan doesn´t work. Only when temperature gauge goes close to 105-110 degrees, second fan speed start working. But first speed never works.

But, when you switch off the engine, first speed fan start working automatically.

I had been looking the reles, fuses and the sensor but I don´t know where I can check the first speed. My car doesn´t have air-conditioning.

the radiator has this sensor ( 2 pins)

1339503.jpg

This is the rele box, but I dont see the a rele for first speed. All fuses are checked and in good condition.

N89l2ZDp98W7ycKtdll-NvLsuVS4wyETiSWEkTBt36EaTvU16bPBSEh0HrrdgHjh1SIZzwDNNrQlajDCvSp96MMY91cdbacIFYb1YXkeQhwKCHJ9IbvxJZv8JYdJF3GmUOYLHdEB_ElOM5eM599u-LxlVaIULP1Vmdz3VgD4hM_e1dn5kLUPOiupMhnPwGB83OUVDvFrty4KahehLAFn9d0iBG3GDYLmNPRmRSfuCIqMcqwQwURfWdmvHNzdRcp

does anyone know how to check first speed? I understand that It must run close to 90º, but I only take that temperature at the highway, when I go across the city, It increase to 110 and sometimes warning appears.

To add, Coolent water, termostat, temperature sensors are all new.

I'm sure my 7A has a fan switch with 3 connectors in it. Have you recently fitted the one in your picture? Just wondered how it compared to the one you took out...

The fan run on is from a seperate switch that is bolted to the inlet manifold by the throttle housing. That has two wires and measures under bonnet air temperature rather than coolant.

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
      I'm sure my 7A has a fan switch with 3 connectors in it.
      I think mine does too?

Comment

How many wire go into the plug that connects to the temperature sensor? If it 2 then your fine, if it's 3 then you have the wrong sensor.

Comment

3 pin sensor and 3 wires.

Pics from my 90 20v...

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
            I'm sure my 7A has a fan switch with 3 connectors in it. Have you recently fitted the one in your picture? Just wondered how it compared to the one you took out...

The fan run on is from a seperate switch that is bolted to the inlet manifold by the throttle housing. That has two wires and measures under bonnet air temperature rather than coolant.
            Hi and thanks everyone from the answers.

Yes, I am sure it has 2 wires.

I bough the 3 pin version but the correct one is the 2 pin. this 2 pin is the original one

I don´t think it is running well. Do you have some pics about the maniford sensor? I am not shure about that. Maybe thats the problem

In other point, does anyone know where are this wires going? to the ecu directly? any relay?

I have lots of wires schemes but, as we can se, any car is different sometimes...

Maybe it is possible to swap to 3 wires version, My objective is to mantein the engine close to 90 degrees and stable. not close to 110º. With this temperature I notice a lost power too

Comment

There's no terminal in your fan switch plug -this is normal on 7A cars, it is a three position plug, but only the outer two are used.

Your car is not overheating, the fan is meant to come on at about 100C, the gauge has a dot on it when it should come on.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
                There's no terminal in your fan switch plug -this is normal on 7A cars, it is a three position plug, but only the outer two are used.

Your car is not overheating, the fan is meant to come on at about 100C, the gauge has a dot on it when it should come on.
                so, this is the normal working?

why other 7A has 3 wires ans works at los temperature than mine?

do you say the dot on the gauge close to 110º? here you can see water warning too

the multi****ion sensor is a new one. and the original brand so temperature is real

Comment

110 is too hot. I thought the boiling point of G11 coolant is about 107. What's the coolant you're using and proportion of mix with water?

Is your rad in decent condition? Is the bottom hose getting hot when engine up to temp? Do you run the aux rad? If you're in Spain, how hot has the outside air temp been when you're getting to 110? Is your cooling system holding pressure? Do you get hissing when carefully removing the expansion tank cap? If not, cap might be worth replacing.

Comment

Get an ir temp gun, 110 is too hot, but it isn't that far up, is it? A gauge is not really accurate to ascertain what is going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Obli View Post
                      110 is too hot. I thought the boiling point of G11 coolant is about 107. What's the coolant you're using and proportion of mix with water?

Is your rad in decent condition? Is the bottom hose getting hot when engine up to temp? Do you run the aux rad? If you're in Spain, how hot has the outside air temp been when you're getting to 110? Is your cooling system holding pressure? Do you get hissing when carefully removing the expansion tank cap? If not, cap might be worth replacing.
                      I am using a G12 50% organic. IADA if I am not wrong. Temperature here is 19 degrees and temperature rises to 110 too.
                      Radiators are cleaned when I changed the coolant.

Captura de pantalla 2022-09-15 002110.jpg

less than 110º, does not fan working...
                      For me, I undertand that fan is not working properly. at 110º second speed start running.
                      And when I switch off the car, speed 1 start working during some minutes. I supposse it is the "run-on-swich". Could be this one? what is their function?

This is not in contact with coolant. is in air close to the cylinder head

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
                      Get an ir temp gun, 110 is too hot, but it isn't that far up, is it? A gauge is not really accurate to ascertain what is going on.
                      I checked the head cylinder with a temp gun and the temperature is the same

I would like to know in wich relay or conector the temperature sensor is going. to check for continuity for example.
                      Or I would like to know if it is possible to convert and put a 3 pin connector with double speed if it is only put another wire and change the relay for example

Comment

This might help?

http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl...oling.html#fan

Comment

Originally posted by Obli View Post
                          I had seen that web page but I really don´t see how I can solve to run the first speed when temperature comes to 90ºC

The wires from the radiator sensor goes directly to the fan resistance? or what? All cables go back to the main wires so it is impossible to follow without the correct electric schemas. And I didn´t find the correct ones yet

Comment

Working...
                          X