AAN/ABY or programmable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAN/ABY or programmable

Good afternoon, I am writing to you from Spain with a problem. Although I don't write much here because of the language (google translator helps me a lot) I would like to ask you a question.
    I currently have an S2 3B upgraded to TFSI coils and with AAN intake and injectors, my problem is that my control unit is in poor condition and, since there are few ABY/AAN control units for sale, I am considering going for a programmable control unit.
    I think the simplest is Maxxecu or Vems, which one would you recommend? Could I do the electronics without risk of breaking anything or would it be better for a professional to do it? Thank you.

CHEERS

If you are changing ECU it is likely worthwhile updating the wiring loom as it will be quite old. In terms of which ECU, it would be worth talking to whichever tuner you plan to use to make sure that the ECU is something they are familiar with and can tune.
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

The wiring is in good condition, the part below the intake manifold has been completely cleaned and adequately protected, which is the worst part. I am between Maxxecu race and Ecu Master Emu black. The advantage of Maxxecu is that I have the official distributor next to my house and he would manage everything for me, but the price is high. Regarding Ecu Master I know that prj has assembled them and I know that he is a great I5 tuner, so I don't know if he could do the electronics for me remotely because in Spain I don't have any distributor nearby and some with whom I have spoken have not done no I5. Hope someone can help me decide. By the way, it is an S2 3B, currently with control unit, intake and AAN injectors, TFSI coils and WALBRO 450 pump. The intention is later to mount a better turbo and be around 350-400 hps approximately.

CHEERS

Comment

Find someone who will tune your car and then fit the ecu they like, end of story. Any modern one will do the job. I don't tune anything anymore.
        http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Originally posted by prj View Post
          Find someone who will tune your car and then fit the ecu they like, end of story. Any modern one will do the job. I don't tune anything anymore.
          Excuse me then, yes, the idea is to go to a chiptuner next to home and mount (I'm almost totally decided) an extra Maxxecu Race and have it adjusted there. My question is, would it be feasible after adjusting certain things by myself or in case of changing a component (injectors, turbo, etc) to be able to adjust it myself? I work as a mechanic and I like to do things by myself but this topic gives me a lot of respect , although everything is learned.

CHEERS

Comment

mby CobraRTP ?
            https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...eprom-emulator
            or mby NOT ?

Comment

Originally posted by pfi View Post
              If you have a at least a basic understanding of how an engine runs and want future adaptability then I recon that Cobra Emulator set up looks good.
              1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
              1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
              1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
              1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post

If you have a at least a basic understanding of how an engine runs and want future adaptability then I recon that Cobra Emulator set up looks good.
                Yeah, think I've got the basic understanding,
                but,
                as I'm an "oldtimer" I'm not into all of the the electronics ...

CobraRT is attempting but lacks docs for the Audi 2.2, mby it's somewhere but I'm not able to find it

Comment

I have to admit I'm very much an old timer as well when it comes to electronics, I just like the idea of being able to retain Motronic and be able to adjust it for different turbos, fuel, climate etc.

I'd have to do more research if I was actually going invest in as opposed to say Max ECU which also looks very good value.

There is that one Russian member who's using it on an I5 Turbo so the info must be somewhere, though if it's all in Russian translation could be a problem.

Comment

The part of "or mby NO?" I don't understand what you mean, sorry. I don't know how simple the COBRA would be and how safe it would be for the engine.

CHEERS

Comment

K Simmonds :
                      Have Eprom burner, tested by copying a set of ADU chips, the car started, but to get the ADU "effect" everything else must of course be changed to ADU spec/setup.
                      Also have an original ABT 280hp ECU, works ok with std ABY/AAN spec/setup. Tried copying chips, didn't work
                      but,
                      in any case, it is cumbersome to dismantle the ECU, it would be nice to be able to just connect a PC and make changes on the fly

Waje :
                      by "or mby NOT" I mean I don't know if it's a complete solution, maybe, or maybe not...
                      and, perhaps, at some point, the answer will come in the thread CobraRT ? (https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...eprom-emulator)

Comment

K Simmonds :
                        Have Eprom burner, tested by copying a set of ADU chips, the car started, but to get the ADU "effect" everything else must of course be changed to ADU spec/setup.
                        Also have an original ABT 280hp ECU, works ok with std ABY/AAN spec/setup. Tried copying chips, didn't work
                        but,
                        in any case, it is cumbersome to dismantle the ECU, it would be nice to be able to just connect a PC and make changes on the fly

Waje :
                        by "or mby NOT" I mean I don't know if it's a complete solution, maybe, or maybe not...
                        and, perhaps, at some point, the answer will come in the thread CobraRT ? (https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...eprom-emulator)
                        I agree, having to muck about opening the ECU every time one wants make an adjustment is a pain in the back side, the metal tabs on the cover can only take being bent back and forth a couple of times and it is a bit of a fiddle.

That's why I like the idea of the Cobra emulator but as you say we really need more information about it, especially regarding the I5 20VT engine.

I'm really only watching from the sidelines out of interest as I have no intention of changing anything on my RS2 as I'm very happy with the MTM software and K26/7 turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post

I agree, having to muck about opening the ECU every time one wants make an adjustment is a pain in the back side, the metal tabs on the cover can only take being bent back and forth a couple of times and it is a bit of a fiddle.

That's why I like the idea of the Cobra emulator but as you say we really need more information about it, especially regarding the I5 20VT engine.

I'm really only watching from the sidelines out of interest as I have no intention of changing anything on my RS2 as I'm very happy with the MTM software and K26/7 turbo.
                          Yup, also on the sideline, Happy with the ABT ECU but as I also have another S2 I'd like to "get up" to ~280hp w/o chg'n any other parts

Comment

Working...
                          X