Petrol Pump Clicking Before Tank is Full - Audi S2 3B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrol Pump Clicking Before Tank is Full - Audi S2 3B

Anyone experience constant clicking when filling up the S2 . Tried different petrol stations and the same issue can barely fill it up as can’t get the fuel out the nozzle , it’s gone so bad that it’s easier to use a Jerry fuel can . what are the things to look into on the S2 ?

it doesn’t matter what I do to the fuel pump nozzle . If I leave it half way out of upside down it’s the same.

checked carbon canister and all the fuel lines seem good . Tested to make sure it’s not blocked .

we suspect it’s this bleeder valve ?
    Part Number: 895201146B
    Should this be one way only ?

777C0091-253B-4681-9F22-72CAC1D89CE8.jpeg

anyone have any experience in this as I couldn’t find a post similar to this issue. Where fuel pump clicks before the tank is even full.

many thanks for any help.

Attached Files

Hi smh

Check that pipes 11,12 and 13 are clear. The tank needs to vent back out to the filler as you add fuel. On these cars it has to vent through the overspill tank.

I deleted my carbon canister system many years ago but I seem to remember the valve in your pic caused a vacuum in the tank so I got rid of that as well. I have a feeling it's a one way valve but spring loaded and needs vacuum or pressure to open, in any case I don't think its your problem.

Item 7C is called the float valve, perhaps that is stuck.

While you're there check the two spigots on the tank where 12 and 13 connect, they're prone to leakage. Epoxy metal sorted mine, again many years ago with no further leaks and smell of fuel inside the car.

HTH

John

Here is the Type 85 UrQ system, much simpler, item 14 is the tank back to filler pipe. I've had this collapse and rot out in my UrQ, I used to get a smell of fuel in the cabin and difficult filling, with a new pipe in there it fills easily.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

I also binned the carbon canister on my 3B S2 but always found it was a bit tricky to fill quickly without the pump clicking off, in the end I put it down to the design of the filler neck and just took my time filling up

I also had to repair the spigots on the tank where they join it with Chemical Metal or something along those lines.
      1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
      1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
      1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
      1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Working...
      X