ECU chipset swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECU chipset swap

Can anyone tell me how to remove the top board safely of ECU to swap over chipset?
    93 ABY S2

Originally posted by nw66 View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to remove the top board safely of ECU to swap over chipset?
    PM sent

I can show you over WhatsApp video.
    Last edited by newsh; 11 November 2023, 13:47.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

Actually this shows the method

https://youtu.be/CBX22emnv0k?si=QuyIpPkdNq5Yb9Qj

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

That quality..have an issue though i'm heavy handed think i May break it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        93 ABY S2

Comment

Find two screw drives, picks etc use them to hold the tabs back then carefully push it appart, you don't need to use any force and once you've done it the first time it's easy.

I can be a bit heavy handed and struggled to get my 3B one open, though I could open one now straight away with the correct tools.
          1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
          1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
          1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
          1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
            Find two screw drives, picks etc use them to hold the tabs back then carefully push it appart, you don't need to use any force and once you've done it the first time it's easy.

I can be a bit heavy handed and struggled to get my 3B one open, though I could open one now straight away with the correct tools.
            yeah everything is when you know how lol
            93 ABY S2

Comment

Indeed, that's quite true!

However just take your time and push down slighty on the pins as well as out, I've always found this helps.

If it pisses you off take a break and have another go later, having the two straight picks or screw drivers the right size is essencial.

Comment

However just take your time and push down slighty on the pins as well as out, I've always found this helps.

If it pisses you off take a break and have another go later, having the two straight picks or screw drivers the right size is essencial.
                sound advice as usual
                93 ABY S2

Comment

You've missed a vital step though, you have to separate the two boards at the ribbon cable end first or you'll never get the top board out of the connector. This entails popping the two stand-offs apart and pulling the tiny nylon pin out of the middle support from the bottom (metal plate) side of the ECU.
                  This is why I suggested he give me a call and I can show him real time how to do it. It’s really not easy to put in writing!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Starting with the metal cover removed from the ECU.
                    905D8B75-0497-4F28-8808-BF79DAD6A0A4.jpeg
                    Firstly locate the small nylon plug in the centre of the ECU chassis and pop it up, just the middle part moves. You only need to pull it up a little to release the top board from the stand-off.

6321499D-9559-4807-8B90-6DA9C4D9AF26.jpeg

Now release the two standoffs between the boards, one each end of the ribbon cables.
                    I usually pop these apart with my fingers but you can also lever carefully with a small screwdriver. If you do it with fingers, apply pressure to both boards to push them apart, so as not to flex the circuit boards, they make quite a loud click as they separate!

CB093BEE-9ADF-4B0C-B487-C9B59BA9E300.jpeg 61591AAE-8CB5-4063-A40A-F27A5E301B15.jpeg 28112391-DAFC-4282-B519-C893A6685AA5.jpeg

The top board should now be angled away from the bottom board and you’re ready to separate the connector.
                    Locate the two tabs in the ends of the connector, they need to be pushed towards each other. In this pic the screwdriver is pushing the right hand one inwards. If you do this at the same time as pushing downward on the top row of pins, the tab will stay pushed in and you can now take the screwdriver and push in the left hand one. Keep a little finger pressure the top row of pins and they will drop towards the middle row.

00EECE5C-C6BE-486B-9A5C-FC5557EAB8D5.jpeg

F7D54EC9-BF88-43A7-9AC5-2CEC9CB5A752.jpeg

Now lift the other end of the board, straightening the ribbons a bit and pull the board away from the connector. You may have to hold that top row of pins down to get them to release from the connector housing.

D542C304-60F4-4F8A-B04C-38F1E467CBAE.jpeg

You can now gently fold the top board back to access the chips.

Note the orientation of the small cutout / dimple in the end of the chips, they must go back the same way round.

HTH
                    John
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by newsh; 12 November 2023, 14:39.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Well you don't get a much better guide than that!

I was going to mention the pins that hold the board together but thought that should be pretty obvious, though I guess if you're not use to taking things apart one could overlook it and as you say not stand a chance of getting it apart.

I know about the single pick method but didn't want to cause more confusion.
                      Last edited by K Simmonds; 12 November 2023, 21:56.

Comment

yes managed to get done and as said before once done easy.. thanks everyone,,
                        93 ABY S2

Comment

Working...
                        X