Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can anyone identify an old eurospec sport engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can anyone identify an old eurospec sport engine?

i recently inherited what appeared to be a 3B engine from a close friends family who passed away in motorcycle accident over the summer. once i took delivery on the engine and the stuff that went with things got strange as i have never seen an engine assembled like this before. the first thing i noticed was that the part number on the block which is 22S 103 021. every single 5 cylinder block i have starts with 034 or 054. pulled the valve cover which was a 7A cover and not 3B and discovered it had 7A cams and ARP headstud kit. flipped it on the stand and realized it had the 7A oil pan on it with the extra side thing by the oil filter. pulled the pan and from what i can tell it possibly has forged pistons. it also has what apprears to be aftermarket rod studs which i have never seen studs before, bolts yes but never studs. the rod caps have 56 hand etched into all 5.

There was a note written by him near the engine that said he suspected it was a eurospec sport 2.6L stroker engine. i do remember the car it came from vaguely years ago which was a black 200 20V turbo avant. there was also an older VEMS V3 PNP with it and LS coil conversion. over im curious about the rods in this thing because they look stock but that hand etching says otherwise. i dont see anyone cutting corners on an engine like this by going to lengths they did with it than cutting corners and slapping stock rods in it. someone was pretty serious about what they was doing with it but i want to figure out just how serious they where and how serious i can be with it.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.
    "The really good drivers got the bugs on the side windows." Walter Röhrl

Have you checked the strokle of the pistons? I'm wondering if they are diesel rods perhaps?
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

What do you meen when you say "sport engine"? As in Sport quattro?
      Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more pic´s of my cars

Comment

I think 22S is the casting number, not the engine number, that is on the rear of the engine above the bellhousing flange, and stamped rather than cast.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
          I think 22S is the casting number, not the engine number, that is on the rear of the engine above the bellhousing flange, and stamped rather than cast.
          22S is the start of the block part number for a south african 2.6L 10V non turbo engine from a VW vanagon as i have come to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by fish View Post
            What do you meen when you say "sport engine"? As in Sport quattro?
            eurospec sport is a company that used to sell performance parts and pre-built race engine packages.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
              Have you checked the strokle of the pistons? I'm wondering if they are diesel rods perhaps?
              standard 144mm rods with ARP rod studs, 95.5mm crank with custom JE pistons.

Comment

i managed to actually track the original origin of the engine back to the original purchaser. the engine is a eurospec sport 2.6L short block stroker engine. it was bought new by the CEO if ECS tuning in ohio many years ago. he never put it in his car, the engine sat in its crate for several years in the ECS warehouse forgotten about. eventually it was found and sold where it ended up in a guy i know shop where it sat for a few more years in its crate till it finally made its way into a black 200 20V turbo avant. turned out the car had a lot of other problems and ended up sitting for a few more years because the owner ran out of funds to keep the project going. eventually when the car was revisited but mother nature had got the best of it and he decided to sell the car where my friend bought it. i cut a few other parts out of it like the other guy who bought the car before my friend and abandoned it half way across the country because the brakes fell off and my friend in ohio dragging it back to his shop but that really doesnt matter.

Comment

Good story!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X