Strange no start issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange no start issue

My s2 3b has been well behaved for sometime , however it has a sigma alarm and, when I pressed the fob the dash did not light up but ,the car turned over but did not start . I fully charged the battery over night and the car started but, did not run to good . I then checked and cleaned the battery terminals ,now the ignition lights come on and the car turns over but ,will not start.
    any ideas would be appreciated

Does anyone know if sigma mobiliser cuts fuel or ignition

Comment

No but it's likely the culprit. Find the control box and methodically trace each wire back to where its been cut into the loom. Best remove it all now. Then get a good steering wheel lock.
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Well even stranger the car seems to have fixed itself .
        Charged the battery ,started it and , left it running (something it wouldn’t do before) and it’s ok .So fingers crossed it could be dampness because it hasn’t been used for a couple of weeks. Let’s hope its not wishful thinking .

Comment

Originally posted by 220bhp View Post
          Does anyone know if sigma mobiliser cuts fuel or ignition
          Normally fuel but it could cut both depending on the model and who installed it. If it's a really old instalation I'd do away with it before does spaz out (which it will) and strand you.

As Dave's says this sounds like the sort of thing they do when they're starting to play up, it's not a lot of work to either remove it entirly but you could just leave it wired to the central locking if you really want to retain keyless entry.
          1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
          1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
          1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
          1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Hi Lou, how’s it going?
            The wiring in these alarms is seriously under spec’d for passing enough current to power a fuel pump, even worse than the standard wiring in the car. I’ve removed 2 or three due to relay contacts and cheap connectors burning out. Symptoms were similar.
            I would definitely bypass it as far as the fuel supply is concerned and fit a relay to power the fuel pump directly from the battery while you’re about it. It may or may not be your problem right now but it will be eventually.

Also check the fuel pump fuse in the fuse box, on my 3B it melted, hence my recommendation to relay the pump direct.
            can’t remember if your car has an uprated pump, these pull more current too..
            Last edited by newsh; 1 February 2024, 19:27.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
              Hi Lou, how’s it going?
              The wiring in these alarms is seriously under spec’d for passing enough current to power a fuel pump, even worse than the standard wiring in the car. I’ve removed 2 or three due to relay contacts and cheap connectors burning out. Symptoms were similar.
              I would definitely bypass it as far as the fuel supply is concerned and fit a relay to power the fuel pump directly from the battery while you’re about it. It may or may not be your problem right now but it will be eventually.

Also check the fuel pump fuse in the fuse box, on my 3B it melted, hence my recommendation to relay the pump direct.
              can’t remember if your car has an uprated pump, these pull more current too..
              This is really good advice, I've gone off on rants too many times regarding how rubbish aftermarket alarm's are too many times, the installations are normally really badly done and the control units themselves are also very cheaply constructed.

I've probably removed a dozen of these bit's of automotive vandalisum from cars over the years and have only come accross one that wouldn't take under five min's to bypass and get the car running so they're pointless.

Comment

Thanks for the advise much appreciated . I have dried the inside of the car a bit and charged the battery .had the alternator of and had it checked as the battery is always running down ,even though it’s new. There must be a drain somewhere ,possibly the radio .
                the car has Ben starting and , running ok for a while. I have a feeling the issue was a combination of water ingress , and battery issues . But I do need to get the alarm taken of ,just a case of finding someone to do it as I think it beyond me , as are most things these days.

Comment

Originally posted by 220bhp View Post
                  Thanks for the advise much appreciated . I have dried the inside of the car a bit and charged the battery .had the alternator of and had it checked as the battery is always running down ,even though it's new. There must be a drain somewhere ,possibly the radio .
                  the car has Ben starting and , running ok for a while. I have a feeling the issue was a combination of water ingress , and battery issues . But I do need to get the alarm taken of ,just a case of finding someone to do it as I think it beyond me , as are most things these days.
                  I don't drive the coupe so much these days so I fitted one of these.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks John . I did fit one but it let me down a couple of times ,so I took it of . Maybe I will buy a better one.

Comment

Well as you boys said earlier the alarm will let you down again and, it has . Fob won’t work ,ie turn on ignition lights yet for some unknown reason the windows work, which is odd . Gave the dash a thump and the lights came on and she started . After turning it of nothing what ever I do .
                      We have taken the footwell cover of to reveal a scary mass of wires but, can’t seem to see any problems ,so I think it’s time to remove it . How much of a problem is it and what’s involved . The alarm is a sigma which has been on there all the time I have owned the car which is close to 15 years or more.

Comment

It's not as scary as it looks. Find the control box and trace the wires back to where the loom has been cut. Probably ignition and fuel pump. The control box will also be connected to a live and earth and will be linked to a siren, probably in the engine bay. possible links to lights, indicators and central locking. Cut them all out and make good the original connections.
                        Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

As above nothing like as scary as it looks even on one that cuts three wires. You'll need to take the colum shrouds off and I tend to take the clocks out for more natural light, simply tackle one wire at at time, find where it's been cut and replace that section and move on. Chuck everything removed away.

Now here's something I've learn recently from watching YouTube vid's on aftermarket ECU's. Don't use solder and heat shrink, use really good quailty crimp conectors and heat shrink, aparently solder can go brittle and crack after time. Though it's never given me any problems.

Comment

Before I attempt to remove this alarm/immobilizer can anyone tell me what my January 1991 3b came out of the factory with in the way of an alarm /immobilizer . Just trying to arm myself with as much info as possible as I have no paperwork to tell me about the alarm . All I know is that it says sigma on the fob and the keypad ,nothing on the gold coloured box under the drivers knee cover .
                            all the wires coming out of this box are black just to confuse maters .

Comment

I don't think 91 cars came with anything. I believe it was a dealer fit option back then. Later cars 93 ish) had a simple horn alarm in the boot linked to the central locking. Much later cars (95/96) had an immobiliser built into the ecu.
                              Nothelle S2 Avant
                              Black Ur project
                              Ocianic Ur project gone
                              S2 Coupe project gone
                              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Working...
                              X