No announcement yet.

AAN water pump failure in 10,000 kms??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAN water pump failure in 10,000 kms??

waking up my s6 from hibernation this weekend and i noted a coupla drops on the ground. after a bit of poking, it seems to be coming from the front of the engine. all hose connections are dry. i THINK that leaves the water pump as the only possible source. of course, it's only got 10,000kms on it as does the timing belt and pretty much everything else on the engine....

can't recall what brand it is but i guess it's trash??

probably easiest to replace it with the bumper/rad removed?? i am praying i don't need to remove the crank pulley? and most importantly, recommendations on not crap pumps? i mean, i COULD spend 160 euro on an oe one from tradition but i hope that's not going to be required??

thanks
    1993 UrS4...aka the rocket powered living room

There is so much fake stuff around. Can you buy direct from SKF there? They set up their own direct web sales site to help people get genuine stuff. I fitted a few of their water pumps and never had an issue.
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

https://vehicleaftermarket.skf.com/uk/en
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

cannot ship outside of the uk but i was able to use it to get the part number and i would be able to buy it from spareto.

i need to have a think now as i am getting 2 different bits of advice. one is to proceed directly to the expensive tradition option. the other suggestion is that it is operator error during installation and i likely set the cold tension of the belt too tight. if i set it properly, then this pump would have worked. equally, because of tension i would have pooched the audi one as well....

might be able to take it apart next week to have a look and see what went wrong.

Comment

These pumps don't tend to leak. It might be corrosion issue after long standing. Disassemble the front to look at where the fluid comes from. If it comes from pump/cylinderblock surface but not from the shaft/wheel cog, it's just a refitting the pump with surfaces cleaning.

Comment

It sat for all of 5(?) months....

Just about to order the skf pump. Would have ordered the oe unit but even at 4x the price, plastic impeller..... for the price of the skf, no reason not to just replace it to be sure.

Comment

Check that small hose under the inlet manifold before you dive in.
              Rob..
              94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
              87 UR 20v ABY
              97 S6 Avant
              96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
              1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Annoying really. I have driven the car literally to the dead end of my road and back and it's in for surgery.... old audis, nothin quite like them eh? You know you're grasping at straws when you're thankful the ac system is still empty from the complete replacement in the fall because of previous crappy part failures so you can fully remove the front end for better access lol.

20240304_115157.jpg
                Last edited by ottawa coupe; 4 March 2024, 17:12.

Comment

Originally posted by GT500 View Post
                  Check that small hose under the inlet manifold before you dive in.
                  Yeah, i stuck my fingers in there and got as much light as i could to inspect. It is dry as far as i can tell. Would still have to dig deep to get at that too. Frankly, given how deep i need to go for the pump, i may as well go that bit further to replace the hose and clamps anyways.

Comment

Well, the pump will be a waste, bone dry there (photo won't load), hopefully i can cancel it. But the tstat area is another story. Dunno if it's the heater hose or the housing itself. I have a new lower rad hose and will replace heater hose in any case. But not sure how to reseal the housing....

20240304_165825.jpg

Comment

The brown crusties on the backside of the housing indicates the leak if i am not mistaken?

20240304_204749.jpg
                      hopefully i can get it right with a new oring and not gooping with rtv....

Comment

What a pain in the backside! Yes, a replacement good quailty O-ring should cure the problem, along with properly cleaning out the stat housing so it can seal properly.

Though while you're in there I'd consider changing the little hose that run's from the stat housing to the metal pipe. Sod's law that'll fail next and you'll have all the fun of taking it apart again.

Edit, just reread your whole post and see you're planning on changing the little heater hose.
                        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Unreal.

Tstat o ring ordered in 3 minutes on the phone with the vw dealer driving my son to school. It will arrive tomorrow.

Finding a 1 foot section of generic 3/4" heater hose took FOUR stops at actual autoparts stores on the way back.....

Comment

Unreal.

Tstat o ring ordered in 3 minutes on the phone with the vw dealer driving my son to school. It will arrive tomorrow.

Finding a 1 foot section of generic 3/4" heater hose took FOUR stops at actual autoparts stores on the way back.....

Comment

Working...
                            X