Is it on its way out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it on its way out?

I have noticed that I have a knocking/tapping noise on acceleration, it doesn't last for long and doesn't happen all of the time. It mainly happens at part throttle but and never at full throttle. Strangely I can only hear it with all the windows closed and never open.......actually thats not suprising as it is probably drowned out by the intake suction, dump valve and exhaust noises anyway!
    Oil (Castrol 10W60) pressure is good, 2bar at idle and 4.5 - 5bar at the higher rpm's, I've just spent the last two hours tooling about in it, and the car still goes like the Starship Enterprise.

Could this be the big ends or mains going South, maybe 1.9 bar boost and 1.6 at redline has taken its toll.

What does it sound like when the 'ends' start going?

I really need this like a hole in the head at the moment .

Cheers,

Mark.
    Mark - Modded

Mark - I hope it is something stupid like a heatshields rattling under the car - don't take the engine to bits for a look - you'll never stop changing bits
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Hiya Mark, Don't want to worry you but if this knocking/tapping sound is big/little ends/piston slap etc. you don't want to end up with a conrod throught your block! Might be worth examining before you do some serious damage and being off the road for a long time!
      Hope it's something simple,
      Regards
      Chris
      A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Could it be something as stupid as loose spark plugs?:confused:
        Hope it isnt too serious
        Graham
        Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Is Xanax available in Britain? It is a modest sedativum. because there is nothing more annoying than what you hear and dont know the reason for. I hope it is just your screwdriver that you left under the bonnet when you chenged your oil last time.

Gabor
          Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

I've had a look and I cant see anything that could be making the noise, so I dont know.
            I have it in my head to build a short block now, I have an ABY, can anyone tell me if I can use a 3B block and crank, are they compatable, could I use one of these if I cant find an ABY,ADU,AAN block?
            The only donor parts I would be using is the block, crank, flywheel and front pulleys, I know the flywheel is lighter than the dual mass ABY so that would be a bonus.
            I use the car daily so I cant really afford to have the engine out for too long so it will be easier but more expensive to rebuild another short block, and put my new cylinder head on that.

Happy days .

Mark.
            Mark - Modded

Comment

I know that allaudi have a block for around 450+vat. As far as im aware they are the same, the aby differing as its got a blanking plate for the dizzy. Going on my experiences at the minute i wouldnt want to blow mine up again so id get it checked out somewhere just for peace of mind... Annoying isnt it!
              Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

AFAIK the 3B flywheel won't work with the 6 speed.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

can the aby flywheel be fitted to the 3B block though....
                  Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Halligan
                    I have it in my head to build a short block now, I have an ABY, can anyone tell me if I can use a 3B block and crank, are they compatable, could I use
                    Yes but no. Or perhaps
                    The 3B block misses few threads and holes for the newer style timing belt tensioner. They could probably be drilled on a 3B block if using good measurements. Otherwise no problems. I did this the other way and naturally the few extra holes weren't a problem of anykind.

You could use AAN from urS4/S6 without any need of modifications.

And AFAIK the s2 6 spd box fits perfectly to the 3B but there are different types of 6 speed boxes. Other have shorter and other longer main shafts.

Note when mixing components from different engines that you have to balance the crank+flywheel assy as one.
                    -

Comment

Porkis,

thanks for that, I hadn't thought about the timing belt tensioner.

Considering all the extra hassle this is going to give me now to have to do this, I will get the whole rotating assembly balanced as one, especially considering what I plan to do to it (with Mihneas help ) once its run in .

Cheers m8,

Mark.
                      Mark - Modded

Comment

Working...
                      X