Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car not putting out

Guys,

not sure wat to really expect, but when i first got the car the pull on it did not really impress me at all, and i am starting to think something is wrong. The low down power is not really cutting it, especially if it is suppose to do its claimed 0-62 in 5.7 secs. I have booked in for a rolling road at PTS in luton for £130 + VAT, is this good price for 2 runs and testing/tuning? Also could you kind knowledgable guys give me any pointers of where to look, from the info on site i have gathered the following potential problems can be:

Dirty MAF, Air leaks, timing/tuning. The engine sounds as sweet as a nut so i refuse to believe its a major problem. I need to get this sorted as i got played with by a scooby WRX STI on the motorway the other day and i aint havin' it!

So if any of you guys see a mica blue WRX STI please avenge me!

try hooking it up to a computer to see if any codes are there.

and the best tip.. im confident this will sort ur problem or at least tell u what the problem is.. is... come to the feb garage meeting. here u will find most of the s2 boffins crammed into a bulding. i have no probs with my s2 but going to let a s2 boffin rag its *** off and tell me if anything wrong/could be better.
    ABY Coupe
    sigpic

Comment

andy,

where abouts in bedfordshire are you? im around this weekend if you want to have quick look at it and see if we can spot anything obvious.

are you coming to meet on 28-29th? might be able to do some datalogging with dougs vagcom and check then.

Greg
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Check that your WGFV is connected / working.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

Andy, i had the same problem when i first bought mine, certainly didnt feel like it had 220hp, turns out it had a boost leak, i reckon it was only hitting 0.4bar max, but just not quite bad enough to cause it to cut out.
          i'd definately check the pipes that are between the exit of x-member and the throttle body, my small one had a 1 inch split on the underside, the one underneath it is prone to splits too, both can be replaced with universal silicon pipe from deamon tweeks, intercooler o-ring is worth checking too but bumper will need removing, do the 'mark h' mod, details here .
          i spent a small fortune investigating leaks, but knowing what i know now/have learnt from this forum, its usually a straight forward fix!

martin

Comment

Thanks for the prompt response for help lads, I will be having a good look at these pointers and see if i can identify the problem/s.

This has got to be one of the best motor car forums on the internet, and i am very sure that S2 central will continue to go from strength to strength.

Cheers lads - good looking out!

out

Comment

You should be able to check the o-ring on the intercooler exit(without removing the bumper) by just removing the slatted trims in the front bumper/airdam. You can then just undo the hex bolt and the bolts the other side, remove the pipe on the entry side. With the undertray off the cooler will slip out between the base of the bumper and the front of the engine.

Look into the neck of the exit and you should see the o-ring. If its not there then you 'll just see the groove where it should be

Do the Mark H mod on the x-member to intercooler for a really good airtight fit!

Good luck, chasing leaks is a real pain in the ***. Also, check all the jub clips are tight too, mine were quite loose when i started checking around.

Cheers,

David
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

how much boost is my 3b suppose to be running as standard please?

Comment

0.8 bar
                  sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                  X