Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power steering

Hi peeps...

I will be changing my power steering pump.. peice of cake compared to my audi 80 i had.

just wondering if theres anything you guys recommend changing while im there? (pipes, lines, bolts etc..)

Under the impression should be a striaght forward swap ?
    ABY Coupe
    sigpic

Removing the power steering pump provides good access to the thermostat housing. It may be worth changing the stat at the same time. What are your temps like? If they decrease noticeably at speed the stat needs to be changed.
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Mines got a bit of play in the pully - any idea on cost of changing?

Cheers,

David
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

my thermostat is 1 month old Glen almost broke his fingers in half geting it in while doing the cam belt etc...

would u belive the dealer is asking £420 for a pump :eek2: I might as well have one made for me out of tatanium with 24carr gold trim.
        ABY Coupe
        sigpic

Comment

Fooooook me £420 are they taking the p**s?

I was expecting about £100
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

never fear s2driveruk.. vag parts are here

if u go eauro car parts they do one for 275, and replica for 175. Will get a price from VAGPARTS later today.

the good thing is its at top of ur engine so no need to take bumper off etc.. in my audi 80 it was right at bottom of the engine
            ABY Coupe
            sigpic

Comment

seems the best and cheapest deal at the moment is euro car parts @ £175 (not a genuine part)
              ABY Coupe
              sigpic

Comment

hey fellas...

need ur opinion here..

i got 3 ways of fixing my power steering pump...

1 and cheapest is to have it reconditioned.

2 is to purchase a replica one from euro @ 175

3 is to purchase a genuine one (so far cheapest is euro @ 270)

my worry is.... what will last the longest? is it worth reconditioning the one I have? will it last as long as a replica? does the replica last lot less then the genuine one? Im a bit short on cash and would like to get the best deal...

your comments welcome..
                ABY Coupe
                sigpic

Comment

I was under the impression the the PAS pump was an exchange item and you had to get a new one/recon one
                  Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

sorry i dont follow?

if i buy from the dealer (who wants £420 for it) then i will need to exchange it with my old one.

euro car parts never mentioned exchanging it... (although i have no use for a broken PAS so dont mind giving it away once i get a new one).
                    ABY Coupe
                    sigpic

Comment

you can get rebuild kits that replace all the seals inside the pump, but ive found it better to just replace the pump, as sometimes it is a problem with the internals of the pump itself that cause the seals to fail. i purchased a ZF remanufactured unit, for about $300US.

and for David, replacement of only the pulley is fairly cheap....less than $30US here in the states...not sure what the cost would be over there, but i would imagine similar if not cheaper.

-b
                      Im not the percent you think survives,
                      I need sanctuary in the pages of this book...

Comment

Ski,

there is a company in Chester who repair power steering pumps, look in Autotrader.

David.

Comment

Working...
                        X