KV/MB/MC/3B/ABY compatability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KV/MB/MC/3B/ABY compatability

I've been staring at TFA (v5) for quite a while again today, basically I've got a fully functioning KV and Various bits of an MC.

Now looking at TFA it shows

KV Block (with pistons) is 034 103 101S
    MC Block (with pistons) is 034 103 101K
    3B Block (with pistons) is 034 103 101P
    ABY Block (with pistons) is 034 103 101N

The KV, MC and 3B also show 054 103 634 can be used, for all three. (I'm assuming this is the block without pistons).

So the blocks look generic.

Same goes with the crank, with 034 105 101S being shown for KV, 7A, 3B & ABY.

All the block images show oil spray jets for the cranks, but I gather from the other threads the KV is missing these. (is that correct?)

Con-rods are shown as 035 198 401 for the MC and 035 198 401C for the KV, whilst the 3B/ABY is 027 198 401A

Next goes the heads (10v here).. And this I'm still slightly dragging the brain with... The MB and MC head is identical as 034 103 351G whilst the KV head is also identical with 034 103 351G.

That just leaves the pistons that are different (obviously) and the flywheels.

So, either I'm reading TFA like a donkey or a KV engine can be converted to an MB/MC engine with new con-rods, possibly oil spray jets and new pistons. Full stop.

And converted into a 3B/ABY block with again new con-rods, possibly oil spray jets and new pistons.

Can some kind soul confirm this as I'm still collecting bits from the MB/MC engine range in readiness of forced induction on the KV engine.

Thanks
    Ian
    85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
    93 MTMS2 Avant

I will be converting a KV block to S2 spec and have found out that thier is no oil breather or any oil sprayers on the KV block but my big concern is one of the water gallery ports differ from 20v blocks which means adding material to the block
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jon441cc View Post
      I will be converting a KV block to S2 spec and have found out that thier is no oil breather or any oil sprayers on the KV block but my big concern is one of the water gallery ports differ from 20v blocks which means adding material to the block
      Thanks Jon, is adding the breather and oil spray jets to the KV block a relatively easy fix? TFA shows the blocks for KV, MC and 3B with 054 103 634 also being used, but it shows 054 103 634A for the 3B and 068 103 171F for the ABY.

Are the gallery ports different between a 3B and ABY head?
      93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Im looking into having the block oil breather coming from the turbo oil drain location on an s2 sump, and i need a knackered block with oil sprayers for my machine shop for referance points first as i said before my main concern is this water gallery port being to small i will get some pics later to show what the problem is

Jon.
        sigpic

Comment

Water gallery differance :

No oil Sprayers :

No Block breather :
          sigpic

Comment

Use a 7A block and crank, 144 rods and Wossner pistons 9205DA? Lot less work

Lots of 7A's being broken or you just in love with the KV?

Motorgeeks forum has lots of info on MB/C conversions but they normally stick with 10V or go the 7A route.
            Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

What price are these Wossner pistons may i ask ?
              sigpic

Comment

Try...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http:/...KJj8qYZy0omWQA

Or contact Steve @ C and R enterprises.
                Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Flat on my back View Post

Motorgeeks forum has lots of info on MB/C conversions but they normally stick with 10V or go the 7A route.
                  Thanks

I was looking at keeping the 10v engine, going maybe with a stand alone engine management and turbo. So Inlet and exhaust manifolds will be ak.. MB/MC, rebuilt KV with lowered compression, Garratt or similar turbo and mapped fuel/ignition.

I'm not after 'huge' hp, around 300/320 would be lovely...
                  93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

No need for custom pistons if you find a good KV block as the bores are 81mm so stock s2 pistons can be used

As Ian said 7A,3B and ABY cranks are the same 86.4mm stroke as is the KV crank
                    sigpic

Comment

Easily done on the 10v, lots of reading for you on there ma boy.
                      Carlos.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon441cc View Post
                        No need for custom pistons if you find a good KV block as the bores are 81mm so stock s2 pistons can be used

As Ian said 7A,3B and ABY cranks are the same 86.4mm stroke as is the KV crank
                        Yep, only if you go the 7A route, 82.5mm bore.
                        Carlos.

Comment

You mean if i trawl through all of motorgeeks project threads i would find this

http://motorgeek.com/phpBB2/gallery2...2_itemId=41111
                          sigpic

Comment

Well done, that was the easy part. Now to find a decent welder and machine shop...good luck. Or...you know a man who can?
                            Carlos.

Comment

Machine shop, Yes, Welder No, need to find someone i can trust
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X