Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you do a leak test, details?

Hi ,
    need to to a leak test even though i havereplaced all the hoses by alloy and some inox tubes and used samco hoses for connecting them as well as Micalor ... (don.t know the word) for tightening everything together. How do you do a leak test anything special needed, some pics maybe? My brain has stopped functioning with this unsolvable problem!!! I am too dissapointed and frustrated aftre two months work and so much money spend!
    Need ideas Nick

testing the wastgate actuator diagphragm and shaft:
    Attached Files
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Do this test even if you have replaced the diaphragm - just to make sure you don't have a leak down the shaft or nut.

You can also check th ewhole intake system by doing something like this:
      Attached Files

Comment

Doug, when you do the leak test, what do you notice if it leaks? A hiss somewhere or what? I need to do this too.

Thanks
        Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

you have to block some hoses as well - like the breather hose and you might get air coming out the oil filler cap.

You should here a hissing.

Comment

Gabor,

when the intake is pressurised if you get a solution of washing up liquid and water, if you paint the mixture over joints and even the whole flexible hose it will bubble and become obvious where the air is leaking out.

Doug has a posh Vacuum tester from the looks of it, this will hold a vacuum and show if there is a leakage over time.

A faulty joint or a leak may show only under vacuum or pressure sometimes. That is why it is wise to do both tests.

HTH

David

Comment

Thanks guys, I thought I would do these at home during Easter but I guess I'd better prepare the tools.
              Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

You don't need the posh mityvac tester - you can connect a hose to the top of the wastgate and suck really hard - keep on sucking until you can't suck anymore then pinch the hose - hold it for a miute and if when you release the hose you hear the wastgate drop you know you haven't got a huge leak.

If you can keep on sucking you have a leak - you can test your diverter like this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
                  You don't need the posh mityvac tester - you can connect a hose to the top of the wastgate and suck really hard - keep on sucking until you can't suck anymore then pinch the hose - hold it for a miute and if when you release the hose you hear the wastgate drop you know you haven't got a huge leak.

If you can keep on sucking you have a leak - you can test your diverter like this as well.
                  "Hey what are you going to do this weekend?"
                  " I'm going to suck on my car"
                  "WHAT!?"
                  *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
                  Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

Zenithal,

I thought that!

It makes a change from the crazy terrorist who tried to blow up a car.

He burnt his lips on the exhaust pipe!

Ah well Back to stripping some S2 hubs to replace the bearings......

David

Comment

No rest for the wicked hey david!
                      Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

Originally posted by Beetie
                        No rest for the wicked hey david!
                        Hi, I am back. I did some sucking all right. Not the car, however. The wastegate idea is great, I can hardly wait to get home to do it.
                        Gabor

Comment

Working...
                        X